outer banks fishing

Discussion in 'Out of State Fishing' started by in the blood, Apr 3, 2018.

1. in the blood

in the blood

Morning first time to the banks with family and grandson. Want to do some fishing the first week of may any ideas?

kroppe likes this.
  2. kroppe

kroppe

Surf fishing is an option. I have caught a variety of things in the surf from the Texas Gulf to Connecticut. In the Outer Banks I caught a skate, interesting creature. I use a longish (8' or so) surf rod with a long cork handle and spinning reel spooled with 12 lb (or so) line. I like lighter line because it casts better and you get more of it on the spool. The main rig is a sinker with a hook above it or below it. Bait is clams, shrimp or cut bait (fish). Bait the hook, and chuck it into the surf. Then wait. Repeat as necessary.

Sinkers need to be fairly heavy because of the tide and current. 4 oz. is not unusual. Ask at the tackle shop what they would use. Err on the heavier side.

A rod holder makes the process more enjoyable. Not strictly needed, but a convenience.

You can also cast and retrieve lures, and walk up and down the shore. It's a more active way of fishing, but I'm not sure it's necessarily more effective. Just a different way of doing it. The local tackle shops will have the requisite lures for the area.

Fishing the tide is important. I prefer 1 or 2 hours before high tide, until high tide. Fishing a strong outgoing tide is frustrating because the water is basically leaving you. Fishing a low tide is annoying because you need to back up one step every couple of casts.

Trolling charters are available. My complaint with these trips in the Outer Banks is the long boat ride to the fishing grounds. It's a night and day difference vs. Florida, where the warm gulf stream is a short ride from the dock.

3. in the blood

in the blood

Thanks was thinking of taking my 9' peir rods but they have a short handle end not sure if they will work but don't waqnt to buy rods for one trip. Can i use braid then mono leader ? never fished salt before not sure if braid works

dntnddb likes this.
  4. BMARKS

BMARKS

I was in outer banks last year around this time. i used my 9'6 steelheading rod. spinning reel with 10lb mono. i double uni knotted like 6ft of 20lb fluoro leader because some of the salt species have very sharp teeth and hard mouths. i used green strike king jig heads, one in 1/4 and one in 1/2 tied in tandem, with white gulp saltwater jigs at the recommendation of a guy at the local shop. i went at about an hour before high tide and fished until about an hour or so into the dropping tide. i caught two flounder. they were kinda small but i was thrilled to have caught anything as no one else i could see was fishing lol. the inshore can be better i have heard but requires hiring a guide or renting a boat and was out of the question for me.