Otter Pics

Discussion in 'Michigan Trapping and Varmint Hunting' started by mhodnettjr, Nov 9, 2006.

1. mhodnettjr

mhodnettjr

Caught this medium otter this morning. I set this area 2 days ago, using only 2 foothold sets with drowners, I wanted to just take a beaver or two out of the area and not use any 330's. I know that 330 traps are probably a "better" trap, and i use them a lot, but i wanted the challenge of catching something without them. I made just two sets, (blind sets), and had more fun making the set than catching the otter. Dave Duncan showed me how to make this kind of set last year and I know what he means now about just how much fun it is to catch water animals on drowners. Thanks Dave!

PS. with a jumptrap at that!;)

Mike

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bf281

bf281

Congrats on the otter and cool pics of the setup and end result. In your first pic I noticed sticks stuck at the end of the run. Were these natural or are they placed there to guide the animal to the trap?

3. mhodnettjr

mhodnettjr

The stick there was not natural. (it was actually just one stick that i broke, the other half that is just floating i removed when i noticed it there) A beaver swimming head on will just swim right up as far as he can before stopping to walk. The stick forces the beaver (or in this case otter) to stop swimming and start walking, placing their feet onto the trap pan (if properly placed).

Mike

4. Liv4Trappin

Liv4Trappin

Great Job there Mike!!
    It's nice to see some set photos as well as catch pics.

5. steelhead1

steelhead1

Very COOL!!! Love to see the before and after pictures.

6. ottertrapper

ottertrapper

Nice job Mike! I'm assuming by your description you took the otter in a beaver set? Nice pic! I know what you are talking about I like taking animals in those jumps!! I have taken a good amount of otter over the years with those jumps! However I find it more of a challenge getting an otter to go into the square rather than the coni hands down! Great job!

7. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy

Definitely not trying to cause trouble here so please don't misinterpret.

Are there alot of otters around? I have never seen one in the wild, but would love to. Any advice on where I might have a good shot at seeing one or what to look for. Thanks.

8. mhodnettjr

mhodnettjr

yeah hoiser,

I see otter sign everywhere that i go, i have seen several swimming in ponds, eating fish, and playing. I guess I dont have any advice on how to see them, i just happend to be in the right place at the right time a few times.

mike

9. ottertrapper

ottertrapper

Like Mike said right place right time there is nothing you can do to improve your odds. I have seen anywhere from 6-10 in my lifetime in the wild not counting the ones I have trapped over the years. The last one was last winter he was sun bathing on a nice sunny day on top the ice on a beaver dam on side the road I was really tempted to throw a coni in the creek a little ways down, but I was traveling so I never did. They are neat to see!

10. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy

That's ashame Ithink they are awesome creatures. Maybe I will get lucky some day.

11. alexsalmon

alexsalmon

How does the drowner work? can they come back up?

I thought it was like a one way thing but in this book it doesn't look one way at all.

Thanks

12. ottertrapper

ottertrapper

They go down and can't come back up it is a one way ticket to deep water! Works great as long as you don't slide it through the wire backwards then they can't go down!

13. alexsalmon

alexsalmon

LOL, sounds like ya might have experience doing that!:D

Mike, do ya have any oneways for the drowners(or what ever there called) for sale. I'd like some for rats.

Thanks!

14. ottertrapper

ottertrapper

Yeah I did it as a kid a couple of times many years ago hey that's how you learn!! :D Those beaver were mean sitting there!!!:evil: :evil: You don't need drowner locks for rats the weight of the trap is enough, but you can use them if you want!

15. PsEbUcKmAsTeR17

PsEbUcKmAsTeR17

Congrats Mike...

Looks like you are having a good year...

Keep it up...

-Psebuckmaster17-