close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Opposum Hunting

Discussion in 'Michigan Trapping and Varmint Hunting' started by HungryHunter, Jul 15, 2017.

1. HungryHunter

HungryHunter

Hi.

I'm curious if anyone has set out on a pursuit of possums and how it worked out. I'm seeing a lot of roadkill lately and thought it might be a good time to get out there at night. I figured I might try a distressed bird of some sort and see what sort of reaction I get.

Thanks.
    HungryHunter

2. Seldom

Seldom

You might get more of a reaction if you rattled a garbage can instead of the bird call. Set on sign!

3. imjon

imjon

Use your car as bait, possums always like to inspect the tread depth of your tires. Even after they've gotten to the other side of the road it's like they suddenly remembered they have to check so they scramble back out into the road.
    I put out cat food as my cat stays out all night, possum comes by every so often and eats it if the other nighttime cats haven't scarfed it down. My cat seems not to care about the food, but he's ready to eat when I wake up and let him in.

Seldom likes this.
  4. fowlme

fowlme

They are a scavenger, I don't think they will come to a call. Spot light near dead nasty stuff.

5. Waif

Waif Premium Member

Way old spple orchards in the fall.
    Hollow trees often hold possums if fruit is around.

As a kid I was told to just kick a dead horse if I wanted possums ,but preffered old orchards.

6Speed and Seldom like this.
  6. HungryHunter

HungryHunter

Thanks for the insight. I just happen to know where there are some fruit trees in the woods I plan to hunt, so I'll hang out there with my light and wait for Mr. Possum to make an appearance. I got my brand new Trash Can Deluxe mouth call in the mail the other day, so I'm itching to try it out.

Seldom likes this.
  7. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Persimmon trees were best in the south. Anyone here ever take a bite of a green persimmon?

8. HungryHunter

HungryHunter

I haven't ever had one and only even heard of them recently. I've seen them hanging around my Pear trees when they are ultra ripe and falling in early sept. So it definitely sounds like the sweet juicy fruits are the way to go.

9. Waif

Waif Premium Member

Deer gut piles attract them too.
    If you are eating possum' s ,stick with fruit related ones.

10. plugger

plugger Premium Member

I know a few bird hunters that think a CPL stands for concealed possum license.

11. jackbob42

jackbob42

Yes , I have.
    A friend in Oklahoma tricked me into it. LOL

As far as possum hunting , rotten road kill for a bait pile and you're all set.

6Speed likes this.