close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Opinions on NewBerry Unit

Discussion in 'MichiganBear.com' started by Deerslayer032187, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Deerslayer032187

Deerslayer032187

Hi Guys,

Next year I’ll have my 8 points and planned on getting a license in the NewBerry Unit for the first hunt. My dad and grandpa used to hunt the Trout Lake area 20 years ago, and always got bear. Obviously things have changed since then, but I’m looking for honest opinions of the area. I’ve also thought of going to the Red Oak unit and hunting towards Glennie or along the AuSable. This will be my first time bear hunting, so looking to gain some insight from the more veteran guys. Thanks for your help.

2. Nostromo

Nostromo

8 points? I'd take a look at red oak. You can hunt Newberry in a few years if you want.

3. GuppyII

GuppyII

Save those points for the Lower!! You can get a Newberry tag with almost zero points in a later hunt. I am saving up for a Lower hunt right now, I think the population is a lot better. I hunt Newberry a lot as my parents live there along with several close friends. Maybe the population is the same but I think lack of pressure in the lower makes it a bit easier to be successful on a larger animal.

4. Deerslayer032187

Deerslayer032187

Thanks for the replies. Guppy, have you had success in the Newberry unit? Are the bears smaller in Newberry due to more pressure?

5. sureshot006

sureshot006

Pressure forces them to be even more nocturnal.

Ron Evilsizer likes this.
  6. GuppyII

GuppyII

Yup, I've killed several bears there and helped several friends get bears there too. I have friends who run dogs and they do well on large bear, but they live there and literally live in the woods daily, they live for bears. Bait hunting can be tough in areas due to dogs and I believe it keeps some of the bigger bears nocturnal. There are areas that you can find with little pressure and they still have bear, it take some legwork though.

7. cotote wacker

cotote wacker

In the past 10 years bear numbers have gone down in Newberry Area around Trout Lake and bear size is smaller....trail cameras don't lie....

2007 3 to 8 bears on a bait with 1 to 2 300 lb. plus.....2016 1 to 3 bears on a bait maybe 1 300 lb. plus....I don't count cubs at a bait...

I see no reason to have a bear season open after October 10 in the UP....let them relax and fatten up for hibernation....

8. carnivor

carnivor

I put in for the second hunt in Newberry with 6 points and didn't get a tag. Two other guys in my camp had the same results. Just letting you know. It's more than a couple of years if you want to draw that area.

9. Blue Plague

Blue Plague

I have Hunters that drew 2 nd season with 4 points I'm not sure what u guys did wrong with applying

10. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

If they took the 2nd season as their second choice they probably wouldn't be drawn. Also if they applied with a party and one individual has less than 6 points it hurts you.

11. Blue Plague

Blue Plague

Yep

12. cotote wacker

cotote wacker

I applied 3rd hunt with 2 points and didn't get a tag....I got tags 3rd hunt from 2009 to 2012 with no points....2014 3rd hunt with 1 point....

Wife 2008 4 points 1st hunt....2012 2nd hunt 3 points....2016 2nd hunt 3 points....

13. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

The east unit of the Hiawatha NF, the area I am most familiar with, gets hammered pretty hard by hound trainers beginning the first day it becomes legal and seems to continue right up to the "quiet period". I see no way that those folks do not have the big boys located so that they have a good chance of harvesting them when it becomes legal.

With that in mind, if you can find an area of primarily private land or a small area of state land surrounded by private land you might stand a better chance of harvesting a larger than average bear. FM

Nostromo likes this.
  14. carnivor

carnivor

Nope. Seco
    Nope, second was first choice and I applied as a single hunter.