close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Opening Day

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by quack head, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

Divers I couldn't even tell ya when they move in will be my first year hunting them on big water. Last year end of season hunted lsc dang was there a lot of birds.

2. walter sniper

walter sniper

Hell yeah im out opening day.
    Honestly the best hunting for me is late season and down south in January.
    I just love hunting

Aaronjeep2 likes this.

3. JBooth

JBooth

Openers a cast and blast weekend usually. Just go a spot with no company, cast for salmon and watch ducks fly around. Middle zone.

4. quack head

quack head

No offense but I don't believe you guys read my question correctly.

5. AaronJohn

AaronJohn

I'll hunt anyway I'm free. Life is too short.

Living/working in the thumb opens a lot of private opportunities but I don't mind the commotion of public hunts now and again.

6. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Not I. I will likely be off, but, there will be no place to hunt. I am NOT going to go out at 1400 the day before opening day, stay out all night, just to have 20 boats show up an hour before shooting time and crowd into an area big enough for 2.

Last year I went out, about 4am, looked at the parking lots, and went home.

Aaronjeep2 likes this.
  7. quack&honk

quack&honk

Yea opening morning is crazy, but there is something about it that warms my soul. It is more of tradition for me than anything else. I go out to be with my family more than I do to go out and kill ducks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

8. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

I get that, and I really miss those days. I don't think I would take a young waterfowl hunter out on opening day now. Not after what I saw last year, unless it was on private property.

9. N M Mechanical

N M Mechanical Premium Member

Will be on my way to Texas for master nationals

10. Outdoor Gal

Outdoor Gal

Used to hunt a public land spot on the opener, it usually worked out ok. Had one guy wander into our spot one day and he was invited to hunt with us. He did for a little while, but ended up wandering off on his own. It wasn't unusual for a couple other parties to be nearby but amazingly everyone seemed to wait until shooting light. Some went through more shells than others. Lol. We usually got our limit of wood ducks and maybe a bonus bird or two.

The last few years we've hunted private. Have permission on a spot that we typically get our wood duck limit pretty quickly and then we hang around waiting for a bonus goose or duck. I'll probably have kids along opening day and this is a great easy access spot where it's easy enough to keep them dry if they don't have all the gear like waders.

We typically target woodies early in the season while they're around, then start focusing on big ducks.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

11. Spartan88

Spartan88

I still hunt with my brother and a few guys I introduced to duck hunting back in high school. The older I get the less its about shooting ducks and more about the laughs we have out there. I've been blessed with good hunts and hunting with great people through the years. Probably will sit out opening day but will hit it hard the first week in the south zone.

Bertslash likes this.
  12. michiganoutdoorsman

michiganoutdoorsman

We've got our own little private honey hole no one can hunt. Used to hunt state land and said the heck with it. We're blessed with a lot of good fields/ponds after making good relationships with the farmers and landowners.
    ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1501886912.762395.jpg
    ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1501886927.296575.jpg
    ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1501886957.770631.jpg

Shupac and Aaronjeep2 like this.
  13. BassFisher91

BassFisher91

I'll most likely be out there hunting a little pond that doesn't get any pressure. Really I'll just be killing time until the afternoon when I can get out upland hunting.

14. Duckman1

Duckman1

Best shooting of the season! Wouldn't miss it! I buy 3 boxes of shells just for opener.

15. hammerdown

hammerdown

hence why I only goose and diver hunt I'm not fighting over a damn local mallard or wooduck.