close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Opening Day

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by quack head, Aug 2, 2017.

1. quack head

quack head

Over the years I have learned to avoid opening day duck in all zones.
    Unless I am on private land/water.

Wondering how those of you that do the same start off your season.
    Calendar, migration reports, hunting buddies schedule ect?

Oh, and I need your honey holes. I just put my best hunting buddy down (the dog in my avitar) so pm all honey holes out of sympathy.

Joking aside, I did loose my dog after 15 years of hunting with him. He love all bird hunting.

Thanks.

Todd.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  2. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

I'm the dumb azz person who is the first one on the lake. 90 percent of the time I cooked and ate my breakfast before any one is even on the water. Then the sky bangers pull up 20 feet from me and they shoot every passing duck that's going to drop into my decoys. I don't even have to put decoys out I watch the birds for a week during early goose season and they always drop into the same hole all morning. I don't get people they will freaking decoy its opening day. Every one packs up by 10 when the geese start to roll in then I punch my goose limit and have my limit of ducks.

Bertslash likes this.

3. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

I will pass on opening weekend unless I am hunting private property. I would hunt in that zoo, too crowded, too dangerous, too many nuts.

4. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

O I forgot the sky bangers roll out there in a 20k excel boat zero blind not even just a camo tarp to throw on them. They don't even get out of the boat and stand in the cat tails and they wonder why they can't get a bird to work.

zoombaiter25 and Bertslash like this.
  5. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Yeah, and they run that boat right into the cattails, mashing them all down and ruining the cover for the entire season.

Aaronjeep2 likes this.
  6. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

They surprisingly didint do that the tails don't get messed up on that lake from people. Just people trying to get to the back swamp hole a million wood ducks dump into and birds that where shot at dump into it. I've never been able to get into it chest height muck for about a foot ball field length through cat tails with zero water but it opens up into a little 30 foot spring fed hole. Goal of the year is to get back there opening day. Won't have to worry about any one else hunting it.since it's dang near impossible to get to.

7. charcoal300zxtt

charcoal300zxtt

Airboat!

Bertslash, zimmzala and Aaronjeep2 like this.
  8. craigrh13

craigrh13

I hunted Saginaw bay last year opening day. Camped out all night to save our pothole. I actually enjoyed it. All of that for 3 ducks. It sucked. I didn't even hear a whole lot of shooting last year opening day. The normal barrages at first light but other than that it was fairly quiet or not as crazy as I thought it would be.

9. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

Come down to south east and you will see crazy over some teal on opening day.

10. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

two man limit of geese and two man of teal just have to scout scout scout.

11. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

And have your friend show up forgetting his waders and jacket. Buddy did that 5 years ago now it's tradition hunts outa camo crocks and under armor thermals. Every year we do real good.

12. craigrh13

craigrh13

That spot was a good spot. That whole area actually. Opening day they just didn't show up like they should have. The birds were there after opening week though. Last year was a very off year compared to the year prior.

13. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

Last 5 years been pretty much same amount of birds every opening day landing in same spot. I wish I didn't have pressure like you do I'd trade my limit for 1 bird with no pressure.

14. craigrh13

craigrh13

Two years ago there was several thousand divers ragged up out there. Last year? I didn't see a single raft. Lots of small groups. I'm sure the fact that opening day was a week earlier than 2015 had a lot to do with it. Weather as well.

15. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

Yeah all we got down here are teal,mallards don't move in till end of nov.