OOOOOPS!!!!

Discussion in 'Michigan Micro Brewery forum' started by Martian, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Martian

Martian

so you are re-using the yeast?

2. eggfly

eggfly

Sometimes, if I’m brewing back to back weekends and the yeast is viable and compatible I reuse the yeast.

In June, I brewed 2 beers but did not reuse the yeast as one beer was a stout and the other an amber ale. These 2 beers use very different strains of yeast.

There are allot of YouTube videos on washing and reusing yeast. I’ve have never washed my yeast, I simply dumped the yeast collected in the ball into the new batch. Fermentation started very quickly doing this. Just make sure the first brew has a low ABV so you don’t stress the yeast. I also make sure the 2nd brew is not a different style of beer. In other words, if the first beer is an IPA then the second beer is also an IPA. Using this dump method, I would never take yeast from a stout and dump it into an IPA or lighter colored ale.

Maybe someone with yeast washing experience can chime in and explain if washed yeast can be used in differing styles of beer without changing the flavor profile.

3. on a call

on a call

How much are those and what is volume ??

I run 6 or 5 gallon carboys.

4. eggfly

eggfly

I have the 7.9 gallon. I’ve fermented up to 6.25 gallons without any issue. They typically run about $100. I think Amazon has them for $75 right now. I paid $50 for mine as it was a floor model. The only thing missing were 2 of the lag bolts for mounting.

on a call likes this.
  5. on a call

on a call

Wow nice for certain ! I would have guessed about 5 or less gallons.

So no racking...just drain the bottom I have never seen one or knew about them. They would work for wine or anything. And as you mentioned bottling would be much more easy...not siphoning.

I would think a nice long brush to clean the side and start all over....or just pitch in some more wort ! Yeah baby...simple :)

I am getting into making Kombucha and was given a 6 gallon milk all stainless with a bottom drain...in some ways it is like your thing but has a flat bottom. But I am going to try it out .

eggfly likes this.
  6. eggfly

eggfly

One of my favorite things about this fermenter is how easy it is to clean. The opening on top allows me to reach my arm into the fermenter to clean with a soft sponge or even a paper towel.

The manufacturer recommends complete disassembly once a year. The ball valve comes apart allowing for complete cleaning. The thermowell allows a pop in thermometer. I fermenter in my basement so I can easily regulate the fermentation temperature.

I currently have a NEIPA that has been fermenting for 7 days. The Krausen has not dropped yet so I’ll wait 1-2 more days before I dry hop. My goal is to bottle next Saturday.

7. on a call

on a call

Do you keg and force carbonate or just condition and bottle ?

Due to ease I had started force carbonating in smaller kegs. It worked well and I was happy, fyi.

Again I like your set up !

How do you fill the wort ? I am guessing you take it down and hang back up ?

8. eggfly

eggfly

I’ve not purchased kegging equipment yet. I’m hoping to do that soon.

To fill the fermenter I keep it hanging on the wall. I have a large mouth funnel that I pour the wort into. I pour about 2-1/2 gallons at a time. I’ve seen a carrying strap for this set up but I have a bad back and I try not to lift more than 30 pounds.

9. on a call

on a call

Yeppers....I understand.
    I wonder if a small pump would help you with this matter ? Carry your bucket near, put the pump in it and fill it ? Just a thought.

Do you use this as a primary also ?? If so is there an air lock on it /?

eggfly likes this.
  10. eggfly

eggfly

I’ve thought about a small pump but I’ve not invested into one yet. Maybe one day.

Here is a quick video showing the in and outs of the fermenter. Non edited.

11. eggfly

eggfly

Hi Martian. I stumbled upon this thread tonight. How do you like the FastFermenter?

Martian likes this.
  12. Martian

Martian

I do, very convenient, and much lighter then the glass carboys

eggfly likes this.