Once In A Lifetime

Discussion in 'Big Lake Surf/ Pier Reports' started by snootman, Apr 13, 2017.

1. snootman

snootman

Tuesday morning I got out of work and headed to the pier with a buddy of mine. The water clarity was the worst I've ever seen in my entire life so we both figured that we weren't gonna catch anything but would stay for 2 hours anyway just to give it a shot. I threw my first spawn rod off the end of the pier and turned around to get my other one in, and my buddy was yelling that my rod was going. Hooked a huge laker/steel on the drop and I fought it for 5 minutes and then the hook pulled. I was super bummed about it but I thought we were gonna rail based on the quick bite. We got our other rods in and started casting on the end. An hour goes by with no bites, I was about to take my cleo out of the water and a huge head blows up the water 3 feet in front of the pier and I scream "Willy I got a f****** musky!!" It went on a strong run and pulled some drag and then was pulling me all over the place and I was trying my best not to lose it. I've hooked 3 of them before but they always bite through my leader, and I was determined not to let this one get away. After a short but intense battle we netted it and luckily my friend had a super deep big lake boat net. My Amish buddy I was fishing with didn't take the best photos but it was such a crazy experience I'm not even that mad. Snapped a couple pictures and the fish took off with a strong kick. Didn't measure it because I wanted to get it back in the water but I have consulted with a few guys that guide and can say with confidence that it was mid 40"s.

Attached Files:

2. Waif

Waif

You gotta snatch them spoons out of the water farther away from the pier to avoid them musky following...l.o.l..
    Congrats on a fun outing.

snootman likes this.

3. thill

thill

Awesome! Congrats!

4. snootman

snootman

I'm going to figure 8 every cast from now on.

Waif likes this.
  5. Waif

Waif

As a youth living on a lakeshore a friend and I were running docks.
    I was using an old prototype minnow lure some one had given me.
    Standing at the end of a floating dock after a couple casts I ran a couple figure eights by my feet at dock edge and a big one had a go at it.
    I backpeddeled about six feet , and my friend a dock or two down thought I had fallen in.

6. GRUNDY

GRUNDY

Those Great Lakes Muskies look cool! Congrats on the cool catch.

7. piscatorial warrior

piscatorial warrior Premium Member

What a great story! I'm not a Musky guy but that fish looks awesome. Congrats are in order for sure.

8. Seanympho

Seanympho

great lakes bonus fish!way to go

9. TwoBiteCharley

TwoBiteCharley

10. snootman

snootman

Guy trolling last night out of same port got 2 of them! One 35" and one 30. I don't feel special anymore.

11. GRUNDY

GRUNDY

Here's a tissue for ya...LOL!

Must be a bunch of bait around. That's the only time I've encountered musky around the pier heads