onboard chargers?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Timberdoodle2, May 4, 2018.

1. Timberdoodle2

Timberdoodle2

who makes the best one in your opinion and why? are they the best way to deal with keeping the trolling motor batteries up? i run a 12-24 volt system and have a third battery as a reserve in case one goes weak during a trip. try to charge each night but having 2 or 3 chargers is a pain..as i see it i could plug in one cord and get the 3 batteries charged during a night. any advice is appreciated.

2. GSPHunter

GSPHunter

Minn Kota is the best IMO. I have installed a few and never had an issue. A quality charger will get you the very best out of your batteries in both power and longevity. I have a 3 bank on my boat and it has performed flawlessly for 12 years now. I leave it plugged in all the time. Last set of Ac Delco deep cycle batteries lasted 13 years and i attribute that to the quality charger. I have had issues in the past with both Dual Pro and Genius on-board chargers either shorting out or continually throwing a charge at the batteries til they completely dried out (expensive repair). Go Minn Kota and you wont be disappointed!

walleye50 likes this.

3. Timberdoodle2

Timberdoodle2

i read a reveiw on the minkotas that the power cord wasnt attached very well and needed to be redone to work properly? mayhave been just the newer models?

4. YOTEANTIDOTE

YOTEANTIDOTE

My old boat had a Minnkota 3 bank and my new boat has a Minnkota 4 bank with zero issues. Can you provide a link to the review your quoting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Timberdoodle2

Timberdoodle2

6. Timberdoodle2

Timberdoodle2

went back to find it and cant, looked at my history as well and couldnt get where i was.. i had looked pro marine models to so maybe that was where i read the reveiw? so i will retract any ill info on minnkota,, so which model would you suggest and did you get a extension for the hook up? best location is where you can see it and get to the fuses correct?

7. Timberdoodle2

Timberdoodle2

is this the one you have yote?
    LINK

8. 50incher

50incher

We've used 3 or 4 I don't recall brands but they all lasted 4 years or more, always got what was on sale, I remember one was a Bass Pro model, and ours were in a bad spot, right up in the bow, so they took a beating in the waves, so I'm not complaining....

Now we have a M K 3 bank right next to the bilge in a nice smooth riding area of the boat....when we added an onboard charger we mounted it to a plate of Alum. that we also added....that way all we had to do was drill new holes in that plate instead of the boat when we had to change brands and mounting holes were different....

Can't beat the convenience of an OB charger, imo....cheers....

Doghouse 5 likes this.
  9. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

I have a Minn Kota 3 bank on my G3 and really like it. Would be hard to beat in my opinion. It is mounted under the center counsel along with the batteries and I leave the end of the power cord at the edge so all I have to do is reach in and connect it to the extension cord when charging.

10. Timberdoodle2

Timberdoodle2

fly rodder, was the link i showed the same model you have? how long are the connecting wires from the unit to the battery's

11. YOTEANTIDOTE

YOTEANTIDOTE

Sorry so late, yes that is the current charger I have. I personally believe Minnkota chargers are far superior than others.

12. Timberdoodle2

Timberdoodle2

thank you for replying back.. know i need to get one rigged up

13. Timberdoodle2

Timberdoodle2

another question has come up which amp version the ten amp or the 15amp also this stays wired up while fishing correct so i dont have to hook up charger and unhook the batteries to use it.

14. YOTEANTIDOTE

YOTEANTIDOTE

I would get the 15 amp. And yes everything stays hooked up. All you do is unplug the power and your good to go. When you get back just plug it back in and leave it alone. You will want to leave it plugged in year round and remember you will see the chargers greatest value if you have fresh batteries. It will keep your batteries at peak performance for the maximum amount of time.

15. Timberdoodle2

Timberdoodle2

what is the differnce between these other than price?
    amzon1
    amzon2