close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Onboard battery charger

Discussion in 'Boating and Boat Rigging' started by Scout 2, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Scout 2

Scout 2

Can someone tell me how they work and if they shut off when the batter is full charge. The boat I bought has one on it and I am wondering about how they work.

2. ebijack

ebijack Premium Member

A quality on board charger should charge at 10 amps min. for a deep cycle. 5 or 6 amps minimum for your starting battery.
    The chargers go into a "float" mode which is where the charger will check/test the battery voltage and charge as required. The on board chargers taper off the amperage as the battery comes up to full charge. Then they go into the float mode.
    Yes you can leave them hooked up and plugged in year round when the boat is not in use.

Kennybks, Mags and Scout 2 like this.

3. Scout 2

Scout 2

Thank you that is what I needed to know so I did not cook my new batterys

4. Kennybks

Kennybks

Congrats on a new boat!

Ebijack relayed how a modern marine onboard charger is typically designed to work. Not all are equal.

Here is one I recently purchased and am extremely satisfied with. It's for a 3 bank, 36V system, but they make 1-3 bank capable of charging 12-36.

Read the overview and features list for specifics. Hopefully the one that came with your boat performs similarly.

https://www.batterystuff.com/battery-chargers/12-volt/marine-chargers/GEN3.html

5. Scout 2

Scout 2

The boat I bought has one in it. I am not sure of the brand or what it is right now. I am going to check it out to make sure that it works and I did not know if it would trickle charge the battery or if it had to be unplugged after each use. I also have a battery select switch in there so I have to check and see what that is hooked up to. I posted earlier about this boat and it was abused so bad but it is coming back into shape now

6. HeavyD

HeavyD

I've had a 3 bank one in my boat for the last couple years. A two bank one for about 10 years before that. Only time it is unplugged is when the boat is in the water. Wouldn't have another boat without one.

7. Mags

Mags

If I'm not mistaken, there is a difference between a "trickle charger" and a "battery maintainer." As ebijack stated, one that goes into a "float mode" is a maintainer which shuts off when the battery is full and only goes on to keep the battery that way. Those type are the way to go so as to not damage the battery. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

8. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

NEVER "trickle charge" a battery.

9. Scout 2

Scout 2

The charger I have is a tournament series 3 bank charger. By the looks of it it has one bank hooked to the trolling motor battery and one bank hooked to the starting battery. I will be working in that area tomorrow and I will get all the info off it then