close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Older Lake Michigan Boats to stay away from?

Discussion in 'Big Lake Cold Water Fishing Reports' started by stelmon, Sep 11, 2017.

1. swampbuck

swampbuck

Back in the mid 90's I left 4winns to go to work wrenching for Spicer's boat city. One of the first schools I went to was Bayliner school. Of course being a 4 winns guy, I had a pretty good conversation with the Bayliner guy.

He described it to me like this......"4winns is a great boat, but you guys are making cadillac's, At Bayliner we are making Ford's.....most people can't afford a Cadillac."

He tough me a lot with that statement.

2. sslopok

sslopok

I had a 1999 trophy walk around and would not hesitate to buy another one that was taken care of. Never had a single issue with it. And as far as resale goes... it sold quick (2 days) for decent coin.

3. ro2

ro2

I have 97' trophy 2352 and other than working out a few mechanical issue from previous owner it has been a great boat. Trailers decent, dry ride, and decent fishing/deck space and good amount of storage . Maybe i got a rare one

4. Willie Tippit

Willie Tippit

How come nobody has mentioned starcraft lund sylvan crestliner, all tincans but get the job done great to trailer i have a sylvan offshore23 2000 ive fished 6 people i dont like it 4 is comfortable great on fuel with the v6 4.3 and cruz speed of 30mph has 3400 hrs with no major driveline work reseal lower unit...GOOD LUCK

Huntingguy23, toepincher and plugger like this.
  5. stelmon

stelmon

Thank you guys for all the information. Really appreciate it!

6. starcraft_1961

starcraft_1961

7. Blaine man

Blaine man

Make sure the stringers run full length and not stepped for the motor mounting.

8. CHASINEYES

CHASINEYES

I love that Sylvan Offshore2300 from 1999 and up. Looked on and off for two years to find one. Found two within price range and both sold before I jumped.

Willie Tippit and Huntingguy23 like this.
  9. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

I love my Four Winns, however by 1989 or so they molded in the swim platform and added couches and other useless features. My bil had a late 90's 255 that had less usable space than my 1987 215.

I know someone that took delivery of a new Bayliner and had to add three bags of sand to cure a list. Within a year he'd replaced a couple hinges with stainless as they were breaking. New boat.

10. Quack Addict

Quack Addict

One of my friends has a newer 21' (?) Trophy - aka rebranded Bayliner.

Last summer he trailered it to Lake O for a trip and they were in the launch parking lot, grilling burgers in the shadow of the boat. About an hour after it came out of the water, he noticed water dripping from the forward half of the hull. He crawled under it and found an 18" long crack right down the middle of the keel. No evidence of any impact damage, just a huge crack.

He ended up having to remove a bunch of the gel coat to patch from the outside, and cut an access panel in a compartment to patch it from the inside.

He was a big defender of Trophy boats, up until then.

11. Smitty03

Smitty03

I have a 24 foot crestliner sabre Great Lakes edition. It rides very nice trailers awesome. Not heavy at all. I have fished 6 out of it for my buddy's bachelor party, but 4 I'd prefer only taking 4 out. I troll with the big motor morning an night an get about 2 in a half weekends out of it. Runs about 42 mph.

12. thill

thill

This 100%! If it has a force outboard on it, run faster!

Far Beyond Driven likes this.
  13. big davee

big davee

I must be a rare exception because I had a 96 spectrum with a 70hp force outboard by mercury and that thing ran perfect. NEVER had a single problem with it. I actually miss that boat. I had always heard to stay away from force but never knew why.

14. swampbuck

swampbuck

Most don't maintain them properly, but blame it on the boat. Most of the force problems are a result of restricted carb jets, due to careless fuel handling and/or ratios.