Old vintage Abu Garcia Abu-matic 170 ?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by sgc, Jul 10, 2020.

1. sgc

sgc

I pulled out this old reel the other day and it's acting pretty rough. I'm wondering if its worth having reconditioned or even messing with. It doesn't seem to want to release line/cast. I took it half way apart and it looks clean.

2. tincanary

tincanary

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020

3. sgc

sgc

I tried calling them and was on hold too long, then emailed and it came back as undeliverable. Not sure anyone is there. I'll probably wait and try again at a later date, but was really wondering if this old reel is worth getting reconditioned? Theres a good video out there on you tube on how to take it apart and clean.

4. tincanary

tincanary

Something like that would be more for sentimental value. They are nice reels but many were made. It's still in production too as far as I know.

50incher likes this.
  5. sgc

sgc

6. RDS-1025

RDS-1025

I e-mailed them a while back and it took about a month for them to tell me they weren't sure what the reel was that I was asking about. I even sent them pictures and they couldn't identify it.

sgc and tincanary like this.
  7. tincanary

tincanary

8. RDS-1025

RDS-1025

9. tincanary

tincanary

Do you have a pic of it?

10. RDS-1025

RDS-1025

I'll see if it is still on my computer. I had thought about asking you but just never got around to it. I'll message you the pics if your willing to give it a shot.

tincanary likes this.
  11. Sasquatch Lives

Sasquatch Lives

Keep it as a collector item. I have an old 5500 (I think) that is way cool. Red with ivory handle grips. Makes a good display conversation piece.

12. 50incher

50incher

Yes both of these, lol....I have wanted to give a report, but myself & a great buddy sent tincannary @ 7 reels ? last late winter before covid stuff....took a while to get them back because of the mail "issues"....and I am very happy to say, he did outstanding work, both of us are very pleased !....and he is very trustworthy....

I finally got to use a Garcia 6600c4 over the 4th for Musky & I could literally cast a Musky top water a "country mile" :D....and hooked one "way" out there too, 1st landed for me this year....the smoothness of the reel is awesome....

He also worked on 2 older Garcia 300 spinning reels, which I really just wanted for "old time sake"....I used 1 of those earlier this year, when we took out brothers grand kids for Silverbass....I put it on a fiberglass rod I built in 1985 (1st diamond wrap) I attempted, lol....it's a tad noisy compared to modern reels, but I love it !....

I highly recommend him for reel repair, but keep an eye on some screws because I think the grease he uses is very "slick", lol !....I had some of the big "thumb" type frame screws on the 6600 back out....not a problem but it did catch me off guard, not complaining mind anyone, lol....

DSCN0186.JPG

Very happy !....cheers....he even spooled it with 8lb test, lol....

jd4223 and tincanary like this.