Old school deer camps.

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Carpenter Bill, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Doghouse 5

Doghouse 5

That pizza looks good !!!
    Yes!!! Life is good !!

2. ridgewalker

ridgewalker

The cabin is small but dry. The water is hot for showers, cooking, and a little basic cleaning. The wood stove now converted to pellets keeps the place toasty. The table is just large enough for cribbage or euchre. The beds beat sleeping on the ground. If you listen carefully the folks from the years when 15 or 16 slept wall to wall in the place can be heard laughing and telling stories. At 71+ my bones enjoy the warmth, the conveniences, and most of all the soft bed. Having 2 or 3 people to share the camp is frosting on the cake if one of them knows how to cook, LOL.

3. Carpenter Bill

Carpenter Bill

Well back at home had a good time up at the old school camp rack shack this weekend weather didn't cooperate very well, Was a beautiful morning Friday in the snow had enough to cover the woods for a little bit and then the rain, Saturday was more of the same but only wars high winds and rain, Sunday moring major doubt in the blind just in time for the rain. But that's OK soon it will be nothing but snow. All the leaves came down you could not see the trails the deer are using but you can see the scrapes they are checking and starting to make. I guess you could say it's that October lull. Add 3 of us in camp made for a fun weekend, My friend did see 2 nice Shooters, Crooked brow, And a real tall and narrow 8 point we are calling him high rise. Looking forward to the Halloween weekend hunt and then we'll be back November 6th For another 2 weeks. Open to hit the peak of the rut Perfect but you never know. We should be seeing more picks as people start heading up to their camps getting them ready for the upcoming firearm season. Good luck to all and be safe

jeffm, Lever4ever, up520 and 5 others like this.
  4. Slimits

Slimits

Awesome pics. One thing that disappoints me is seeing how the up used to have alot of nice deer! Not so much anymore

5. HuronView

HuronView

Yeah, there are no good deer left anymore in the UP. Best to stay under the bridge--nothing to see here. :whistle:

6. greense1

greense1

The UP just used to have a ton of deer period. Way too many in fact. The habitat couldn’t support them all. We take a few nice deer every year. They’re still there you just need to work at it a bit.

7. Carpenter Bill

Carpenter Bill

The UP still holds some traditional Michigan freaks you just have to know where to look and hunt hard, I believe The ratio is much closer to work should be then down in lower Michigan. Them UP Dear answer to the antlers. Never called deer in with the antlers like I have up There.

8. Carpenter Bill

Carpenter Bill

And I will add this want you get UP deer hunting in your blood it is hard to get it out. I don't know the words for it but there's just something about hunting deer in the UP that is like magical to me. I now haunt in the northern lower out of the camp rack shack, It's a great camp that we built, And it's a shorter drive then the UP. But it's just not the The UP. I enjoy hunting at the Rack shack but hopefully one day I will get to hunt the UP again at an old school Deer camp.

9. Tryin2

Tryin2

20201012_121245.jpg not old school but I definitely rough it at camp

Attached Files:

TK81, KevinHort, Doghouse 5 and 19 others like this.
  10. NormD

NormD

UP Camp I'm fortunate enough to head to next month for the opener. Was there two years ago in early Oct to kick up some partridge.

Attached Files:

11. mattawanhunter

mattawanhunter

Yes sir that will work, that will keep you in your blind all day long!

12. Tryin2

Tryin2

13. CHUCK n BUCK

CHUCK n BUCK

What a great thread

I will add my story. I am born and raised in North Carolina, moms family. My Dad, from Michigan moved back there when I was young and I lived with my mom. I have went back and forth my whole life. Summers, Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc..

When I was 14(1995) I made my first trip to deer camp. The agreement was as long as my grades were good I could take the week of Thanksgiving off and go to deer camp with my dad. I would fly out of Charlotte Douglas Airport to Metro Detroit! I started flying back and forth at a young age.

My first deer camp 1995, Dad picks me up in Detroit and we head up 75, cross the bridge, few hours later head down a two track at 2 a.m. A snow storm had just came through and this southern boy sat up in the seat with amazement off all the snow. I remember being mesmerized by the pines that were bent over the old two track that were were going down. We could of been on Mars to me. You gotta remember I didn't get to do this type of stuff back home in NC. Never seen anything like it, it was a totally different world to me.

On Thanksgiving Day that year sitting with my Dad way back in the stuff I took my first ever deer. A spike at 1:17 in the afternoon, it was snowing and we had set all day so far. It was my second to last day to hunt and I had hunted hard but had only seen does. Was a moment we will never forget. I have some awesome video footage of after the shot and the drag out and around camp.

Each deer camp during the 2nd week was me, dad, and my uncle. I have DVDs of of every year as my dad always kept good deer camp footage. I went each Thanksgiving from 14-19 years old. Then went to college and became busy. I haven't been to a Michigan deer camp since 2012. I am going this year to be with my Dad, uncle and brother. Even though its a hell of a drive I cannot wait.

Here are some pics...they always set up an Army tent. Now we will stay in a motel or a smaller tent.
    The first pic is my 1st deer back in the cedar swamp.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Carpenter Bill

Carpenter Bill

That's what I'm talking about and old school deer camp, That's why I created this thread, Looking at them pictures Set a shiver up my spine, And gave me Goosebumps. Just aint nothing like an old school UP deer camp To get the blood flowing.

15. Chuck n Buck,

Great post! That's what Deer Camp is all about.

Good luck to you on your upcoming hunt. There's nothing like a good old fashioned UP deer camp during hunting season.

Some things will have changed since the last time your were there, some things haven't. Spending time with family and friends at camp is one of my life's greatest treasures.

Travel safe, and when you get there just take it all in and enjoy the moment.