Okuma Sheffield drii vs S1002

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by yooperwannabe8714, Dec 7, 2019.

1. yooperwannabe8714

yooperwannabe8714

Does anyone have any input on the Okuma drii vs. S1002. I know the drii has a drag but is the quality just as good or better than the S1002? I'm looking to get into centerpin fishing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

My buddy has a DRII and really likes having the drag system on it. I have used both reels in the past for short times and do not think that there is much difference between them.

yooperwannabe8714 likes this.

3. yooperwannabe8714

yooperwannabe8714

Hi Flyrodder, thanks for the info, did you like both reels? Should I consider something else?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

4. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Between the two not much difference in quality or function other than the drag. If I was to buy a new reel in that price range I would look at a Raven XL, much better reel in my mind. Had one a few years ago and liked it.

5. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

I would agree with Denny at looking at a Matrix XL as an entry reel. Its honestly more fun fighting fish without a drag anyway! The larger diameter helps in the amount of line retrieved per turn.

6. nighttime

nighttime

Dr11 drag works very well. I own one, my son was five when he landed his first one on it. Great reel for wore out hands fishing kings. I don’t fish it much anymore but it will be in action as my son gets older.
    Really you don’t need drag by any means and pins are much more fun without it.
    XL is a good choice. Best not to spend much on first setup unless you’ve pined and very much like it

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  7. yooperwannabe8714

yooperwannabe8714

Thanks for all of the input guys! So there is no worry of me not liking it. I don't want to wish I had bought something else a year later. My Father had a boat made and now my winter free time will be chroming. We have always fished from the bank and know that Center pinning is the way to go. So this is where I'm at and trying to decide on the setup.

8. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

If you have your mind set to knowing you’re going to do it I would recommend spending on the reel (and rod) you realllllly want right out of the gate if that’s the case and budget will allow. The 200 to spend on an ok reel could be nearly half the cost of a higher end reel you may want a year from now as you said. Some guys love kingpins, others colville, others like myself love milners.... all are far more spendy for sure. But after owning and fishing my milners, I’d be hard pressed to go to a Raven or okuma personally.

your best bet would be to see if you can put your hands on some of the more spendy reels if you have a buddy who may have one. The startup, overall smoothness of the tighter tolerances, improved clicker strength, all little details that add up to a more enjoyable reel to fish. Yes there are even more expensive reels out there than those I just mentioned, but when speaking of function/tolerances, I just can’t pull the trigger for the tiny gains those 1000 dollar reels provide.

another aspect that’s equally important, maybe even more important is the rod... have you settled on one yet?

9. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

What Adam said above was here I was at when I started. My first reel was a Don Campbell, who was one of the premier builders in BC Ca., I loved and still love that reel, but it spoiled me when I bought my first lower level reel. I have since found another of Don's reels and a couple of John Milner reels. There is no real (pun intended) question that the quality of the higher priced reels make them so much nicer to use. If you can afford to go to a Milner and plan to continue in this great activity then spend the extra on a reel that you will use forever. The same can be said for a good rod.

10. yooperwannabe8714

yooperwannabe8714

Thanks guys, I have not settled on a rod yet either, My Father and I have kicked around the idea of building one, but other than that, much thought has not been put to it yet. Suggestions on Rods?

11. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Building is fun! I do highly encourage it if you do your research and learn what to do. You can save a lot of money on a premium build if you put in the time and do it right.

Sooooo many rods to choose from though if you were to buy, it really comes down to what you want to spend and what features you are looking for. My go-to right now personally is a 6-10 13’ lamiglas closer (I have custom I have built but factory are good too). On the lamiglas front the next to look at on a lower level budget would be the “center spin”. Rainshadow builds on the xst1562 blank, especially the older rx7/rx8 blend are good. Raven rpx is a decent higher end raven selection. Raven im6 is a good lower end.... so many directions to look to be honest.

It really comes down to your personal taste and how you personally fight fish that dictates which rod will work best for you coupled with your budget. For me, I tend to lay into fish pretty hard and find slightly softer rods suit me best.

Hopefully there is some help in all that ramble but just my opinion!

12. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

I have not built any rods for several years now, but have built a number of rods in the past. As the old fly fishing saying goes, "it is so nice to catch a fish on a fly that you tied", the same goes for using a rod that you built. It you do decide to try this route, look for a builder in your area and see if you can watch/help them build a rod or two, it is enjoyable to see the process and you will learn a lot.
    As for rods/blanks as Adam mentioned, it will depend on how you fish, I personally like a little stiffer rod as I do not "tend to lay into fish pretty hard", it depends a lot on how you use a rod.
    On the high end of rods there is CTS blanks which I love using, and have a reputation of being one of the best available. The Batson blanks are great for the middle price range and my first CP build, XST 1562 is an awesome blank for Mi. rivers and really is hard to beat. Do a little research on blanks and you will find something that works well for you. One thing that I will add is if you do build, the position of a reel seat is a personal preference and you will find a lot of variation, find what works best for you.
    By the way, if you plan on fishing from a boat the majority of the time 11' - 12' rods will work just fine, although the majority of rods are longer.