Okuma RTX Spinning Reels ??? Anybody own one???

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by sfw1960, May 5, 2013.

1. sfw1960

sfw1960 Staff Member Super Mod Mods

[​IMG]

Super light weight, Okuma drag - who's got one & how do you like it???

RAS

RTX-30S Right/Left 6.0:1 6.6oz. 7BB + 1RB 6/225, 8/175

2. sfw1960

3. CrashAxe

CrashAxe

Pretty sure that is the reel I put on my son's rod to teach him to use a spinner. It casts smooth, has held up well. I guess the only gripw I might have is the drag. It seems to have little adjustment range. Small amounts of turn tend to swing the drag very tight. IMHO, good real for the money.
    CrashAxe

4. Percha Man

Percha Man

just got mine in the mail today and it is going on my new eyecon rod for casting jigs to walters....

Got mine for 75.95 with free shipping off the internet from georgia brand new and also got a $20 dollar refund from the Okuma website that lasts until June so it will be a total steal of $55.95.

Reminds me of the shimano C-14 and my good frind just got the Helios and is in love. Okuma makes some good affordable reels. Cant wait to get it out and slap some fish around.. Arms will never get tired at 6.6 oz and a rod that is light as a feather and as sensitive as you can get... ;)

Go with the 30 series the only difference is it has 13 lbs of drag if needed and the bail is deeper so it holds a few more yards of line other than that it is all the same...

Good luck on what you choose but for 200 plus for a c-14 or 55 to 100 my money is on Okuma for now ill let you know if my mind changes.... :D

5. sfw1960

So PM me that web site!!!
    (Please):corkysm55

6. Percha Man

Percha Man

info sent good luck.

7. redeyed

redeyed

I bought one on line as well; the $20 rebate was part of the reason. I bought the 30 size and was a little disappointed that it is smaller than my 25 size Shimanos; I guess thats why the 30 size is so light. A nice looking reel that I will use to cast jigs.

8. sfw1960

I have a few Cabala's Prodigy MGs and while they are fairly nice, in the cold WX they are a real ****** to hold onto - they are light & feel like plastic, but they are C-C-C-Cold! :lol:

Thanks Percha Man! :)

9. Chad Smith

Chad Smith Premium Member

I have one too, 30 series, just got my rebate in the mail today, ended up paying $60, and it is well worth it. It compares favorably to the CI4. The CI4 is made in Malaysia where the minimum wage is 3 times higher than in China where the Okuma is made, dam near the same reel for over $100 less. I'll be buying plenty more in the future. No extra spool though.:sad:

10. willowblade

willowblade

The RTX reels from Okuma are a sweet reel. They have a great drag system, and are built to last. The best feature of this reel is the weight. At only 6.6 ounces, it is one of the lightest weight reels on the market and is only $99.99. They even have a $20 mail in rebate on the reel right now (through June 15, 2013). At $79.99 they are a steal!

Okuma RTX 30

11. sfw1960

Thanks for the link & info - I actually saw that before the PM's, but it's appreciated anyway! I bought one!

No extra spool with the Ci4 either Chad, and most manufacturers are going that way...
    :rant:
    Is it a Shimano Stradic Ci4 killer??
    NOPE.
    For the $60 to $100 you'll pay (I am discounting getting OR not getting a rebate and/or a great price), it's a pretty damn nice reel though.
    First order of "testing".... toss it in the freezer for an hour and a half to see if the IAR bearing slips or "back spools" with STOCK factory lubricant.
    It did just a little bit - but not enough to miss a hit or lose a fish.
    Is it SMOOOTH ? At room temperature it sure is right out of the box.... @ 10-15 degrees, it's stiff & cantankerous fresh out of the freezer! :eek:
    Now that I pulled it apart & slapped in some Ardent Reel Butter products in there?? How 'bout now??
    YUM YUM. :lol:
    I have some 5 bearing Shimano's that are smoother, but they have some serious miles on them and it has been my experience with the Okuma's I own, they all need a little love and break in before that sweet spot hits.
    Of the 7 bearings shown on the schematic, two are in the handle knob and one is the IAR bearing, leaving 4 for the drive support.
    I have been a Shimano boy for almost 30 years, but they are not the only kids in my stable....
    The ONE thing I don't like about this reels is the "rear decorative cover" isn't a tight fit or sealed off from the elements; so fine dirt can get in and low viscosity lubricants can get out....:yikes:
    Guys that know me know I troll 'eyes in some pretty brutal WX, so I usually mix a PTFE based grease with a low vis oil for a smooth action @ 20° F. in most of my reels - they can also serve double duty Ice fishing also.

I got mine for less than that I just hope I can get the rebate (the invoice is in my Wife's maiden name...long story - don't ask!)!

FWIW ~ I popped this puppy on a Shimano Clarus (IM8) 7'2" MH "Worm Action" spinning rod and without a spool full, just the hardware tips our little blue postal scale @ 11.6 oz. The braid should weigh less than an ounce and if I switch the rod to a 6'8" MH Shimano Compre` (IM9) rod, it should shave a few tenths off.

Will this one be riding along in the dark come November for the hopes of a 14 lb sow??? YUP!
    If you can spare the coin for a Ci4, have at it - but I am with the majority here when I say...
    If you can spend between $99 an $79 on one of these, I don't think you'll be disappointed at all with your purchase!

Thanks everybody for the input!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Robert

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  12. Chad Smith

Chad Smith Premium Member

^ Yeah I know the CI4 doesn't come with 2 spools, I own a 1000 and a 2500, President XT comes with an extra spool, it did a couple years ago atleast. I dont test the product by throwing it in my freezer because I don't fish in 0* weather.(I sissy) I agree with you on that funky color plate, thought the same thing about particles getting in the reel while fishing for Salmon/Steel. Personally, I feel this does take money out of Shimanos pocket, especially when you can get em cheaper than $100, the bail on my 30 series Okuma closes smoother than my Stradics but I dont totally break my reels down and clean them either.

13. sfw1960

I stay the hell away from Pure Fishing Stuff as much as I can unless very well proven...
    But...

Don't worry Chad, I won't start calling you a sissy!!!
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:evilsmile
    Okuma bails DO flip nicely.

The back plate was my only real problem with it, good $****** Maynard!
    :fish2:

RAS

14. Ranger Ray

Ranger Ray Smells like, Victory! Premium Member

You could have had Sahara's at $49. $49! But noooooooooooooooo, you wouldn't listen to the ol Ranger. :lol:

15. sfw1960

I got 2 of the Spirex 2500 almost new - spooled ONCE for $80 shipped and two Spirex 2000 used one was just like NIB withthe spare spools for $60 TYD... I'd say I did good for the heavier reels...:lol:
    Two Cabela's 12BB 30MG's for $130 for the pair shipped NIB and this Okuma should run me LESS than $60 if I can squeak the rebate.

:p

D'you say sumpin' Ray???

:evilsmile :fish2: :evilsmile :lol:

...Now if you'll excuse me, I have 125Yds of 12lb Stren Micro Fuse I have to go stretch out in the yard!

Last edited: May 15, 2013