Okuma Avent

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by thousandcasts, Aug 3, 2006.

1. thousandcasts

thousandcasts

Aw...*#%$

Although I'm quite happy with my bait caster (Shimano Curado) for float fishing, I suppose it's time I at least had a pi-pi-pin (there, I said it) in my arsenal. I was thumbing through the Cabela's catalog and saw the Okuma Avents--are they any good?

2. steelymike

steelymike

They ain't a bad starter reel but for a few extra bucks you should look into the okuma sheffield or even an islander. You might as well spend a little extra for a better reel rather than upgrading in a month. Just my $.02

3. TheSteelheadBum

TheSteelheadBum Guest

I would definitely go with the Sheffield for a few more bucks than the Aventa. Or check out Raven's line of reels as well. Once you get addicted to using it "which you will:) " you will be glad you spent a few more bucks and got a better reel.

4. MPsteelheader

MPsteelheader Guest

tc its what i started out with when i got into the pin craze...

great reel to learn with but i would say that the sheffield for 30 more bucks is welllllll worth the extra $$$...

or even the raven classic

5. Flyfisher

Flyfisher

WOW...we actually agree on something;)

I, too, started with the Aventa and then bought a Sheffield, sold the Aventa, and bought the Raven Classic. There are noticable differences between the Sheffield and Classic, most of which are hard to put in words. I mostly fish the Sheffield because, in my opinion, it performs better than the Classic in regards to start-up, etc. Its also "feels" more comfortable. Both are worth the extra change. My Aventa served me well but I had a major issue with line getting caught "in" the handles ( a design flaw in the earlier versions, perhaps it has since been addressed?). If you don't already have one, you will also eventually want a 11'6"-13'6" float rod. Loomis are hard to beat but cost you a left nut. The Raven Matrix or Okuma Guide series rods are hard to beat for a little over $100. Unless I am fishing really big water and heavy floats, I rarely use my 13' IMX. The 13'6" Okuma Guide Series is very light in the hand, balances well with the Sheffield, but is somewhat soft, although not a complete noodle. Send me a PM if you want to handle any of this stuff before you make a purchase. I have been pretty busy, as of late, fishing largemouths on very light tackle out of a kayak, but could perhaps meet you in GR for an attempt at a carp or two...Capt. Trash signing out!!!

6. pikedevil

pikedevil

As has been said the sheffields and ravens are a solid step up without a huge price jump. I own an aventa now and am looking at getting a sheffield. That being said the aventas do what they're sposed to and are a fine starter reel, just ask Gomer, hes dominated a few fish on his aventa, some questionably hooked, a few in the mouth. Bottom line is if him and I can both use one for a season and they both still spin at the end, thats all the field testing that need be done. We ain't exactly kind on our equipment.:evilsmile

7. MPsteelheader

MPsteelheader Guest

but now gomer has that car tire pin with a wheel bearing from a '94 wrangler:lol:

so whens he gonna find time to use that aventa anymore...

maybe he can sell the aventa back to me:)

8. gomer

gomer

Winchester, Virginia & Rockford, MI (Home)
    Yo Hutch, I'll sell ya an aventa....

Ahh yes... 6 inch pin... :yikes: Ill be able to drift from the 196 bridge all the way to the coffer and be able to reel it in in 10 seconds....:lol:

9. scoot

scoot

I believe it will become the sheep slayer :lol:. Seriously though if Hutch doesnt want it I know I could take it off your hands :p

10. pikedevil

pikedevil

Buying gomers aventa would be like buying a used car with 873,000 miles plus some "minor" flood damage. :D

11. Gomer's tendency to speddle himself all over the busted up concrete at 6th and tippy would make buying that reel a bad idea...Pikedevil should sell you his it has the required 679869867986987 miles on it. That being said I am looking to dig one up.. not an aventa, a Raven Classic would be sweet, PM me if you have one to part with. I am also looking for a 13' rod to go with it... I hear the croix is a real tank...?

12. Flyfisher

Flyfisher

How much cash would you be willing to part with for a barely used Raven Classic and a 13' Custom Loomis IMX? Feel free to send me a PM.