Oil out of drain plug hole..

Discussion in 'Boating and Boat Rigging' started by natureboy2534, Jul 3, 2019.

1. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

Have a problem with dark oil coming out of the drain hole after I put the boat away and jack the nose up to drain water out after fishing. Its a 2 stroke EFI 200 mercury out board so I have a remote tank under the back splash guard where the oil tank sits. I have a place to fill the oil on Outside the splash well so I know it wasn't spilled while I was filling it in the bottom of boat, if I did spill any it would be seen in the splash well and not in bottom of boat. The oil tank has 2 pick up lines off a cap coming out of the top to send to the motor and the other cap goes to the filling port where you fill it out side by the splash well. The 1 cap with the 2 lines coming out had a little bit of fresh oil on top of it like it was leaking a little bit out of it, but the amount of oil in the bottom of boat is kinda alot. Could it possibly be the oil is get pushed to the back of resavior where the top of cap is and leaking out that way before getting on plane with boat..I have just seen this last night, and won't be able to tackle it untill after I get back in town on monday. Just any thoughts or suggestions I can look at when I come back. I seen some tanks a known to leak at those caps be not sure if this is my problem ...Yet...
    Thanks fellas for any insight...

2. Waif

Waif

If a visual inspection does not tell you where it's from , maybe some thin strips of white cloth tied on lines where oil tracking/leaking is suspected will give you a visual.
    Depending on you checking them...
    (You'll want a spotter vs tying your belt to secure the steering wheel while you watch...):eek:

natureboy2534 likes this.

3. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mod

A picture is worth 1000 words

4. hommer23

hommer23

Can you take the oil tank out and inspect it? Could be something rubbed a small hole in the tank and when on the water bouncing around it causes the leak. Like Waif said, put some tack cloth on the oil tank, that will stick to tank better than a cloth.

5. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

I know I know..
    Stuck at work till 5 tonight..
    Ill grab some hopefully before I leave tonight...

6. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

Tank will come out on monday, I unscrewed the cap with 2 lines coming out last night, but didnt have time to let the oil drain off the pick up, so I just left it in the hole of the tank to drain all night. Ill grab pictures as soon as I get home today...

7. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

The 1 with the pick up lines is the 1 that had fresh oil on it last night and is the 1 at the back of tank. Why I was thinking when boat is trying to get up on plane all oil in tank is to the back where that 1 is..I will be inspecting it after I return this long weekend..

Attached Files:

8. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

The 2nd picture is just to show Its not spraying anything the the well and all is dry..The only fluid in that compartment is the oil tank and gas. But there is no fumes of gas at all.
    Just seems like alot of oil in there, and something is not right

9. aquaalf

aquaalf Banned

I would take a good look at the gasket or O ring that seals the pickup when you tighten it down and make sure that it is not damaged.

natureboy2534 and Waif like this.
  10. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

More pictures filler cap on splash well and the entire compartment where oil tank sits..

Attached Files:

11. Waif

Waif

I'm with you on that.
    Whatever seals inside the top of cap needs to be inspected .

12. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

13. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

Replaced both O rings and took out the oil tank and cleaned it up, put some towels around the hoses to pin point it..Thanks for the ideas...
    Oooh and if you can't back up a little hill cause your brakes on trailer are locking up it MIGHT be the #11 fuse under hood thats what I learned also..
    08 GMC Sierra. .

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Waif likes this.