close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ohio steelhead

Discussion in 'FlyTyingForums.com, Fly Tying, Trout Fishing' started by billgiffin, Nov 29, 2017.

1. billgiffin

billgiffin

Anyone have any experience fishing Ohio rivers...have read they are well stocked.... especially in the vermilion river ....closest one to me...

2. BeanOFish

BeanOFish

I fished them a lot when I lived in Cincinnati. They get good runs of fish, PA getting the better of the fall run. The Vermillion, the Grand and the Chagrin are fun rivers to fish. They fish best a few days after a good rain. Most of them get very little ground water, and are heavily dependent on runoff. With the cold weather approaching you'll be dealing with a lot of slush if you head out this weekend.

3. billgiffin

billgiffin

Thx for reply...trying to get some info on vermilion ...mill creek pk....or any specific area to start at for first trip

4. I totally agree on that! Several years ago the area was in a drought. Strike indicators weren't even moving in the rivers. A few of us had plans to go but many dropped out because of the dry spell. I saw a huge storm around the Lake Michigan area heading that way. It was the absolute perfect storm. With the rain came the fish. We stayed in one place and let the fresh fish come to us. No one else was on the river because of the poor fishing prior to the storm which made it even better. The next morning during breakfast the TV news let the area know the fish were in and told people to get out there. They did. It got so crowded you had to bring your own rock to sit on. The day before more than made up for the zoo that day!
    The scene at the mouth of the river...
    ErieSteel1.JPG

IMGP0394.JPG

Them's fish tails poking out of the river at lower left.
    IMGP0387.JPG

Gamechanger likes this.
  5. BMARKS

BMARKS

DAMN! imagine if the tippy dam crowd could see that. there would be fist fights over who could violate the most fish. i respect the actual sportsmen in this photo. Although there prolly is a co just outside of the frame haha.

6. BMARKS

BMARKS

i wonder if some fish in the photo are drop backs from the low water. some of the up close ones dont look fresh from the lake.

7. I'm fairly certain they were fresh out of the lake. The day before the folks shore fishing out into the lake were hooking up left and right. When the water finally started flowing out of the rivers the steelies swam up to take care of their urges.

8. BMARKS

BMARKS

ahhh i see. just not as chrome as some you would see. none the less an awesome pic. must of been a pretty awesome sight too.

9. A few pics of the victims that day...

SteelyCollage.jpg

Gamechanger and BMARKS like this.