Official Grand Traverse Bays 2020

Discussion in 'Big Lake Cold Water Fishing Reports' started by Outdoor2daCore, Mar 16, 2020.

1. JTRama

JTRama

Just wondering if there is any Whitefish in the Bays anymore? Seems like Cisco and Lakers is mainstay.

2. ThreeDogsDown

ThreeDogsDown

I haven’t caught one in 5 years. I am a troller, not a jigger, so that might be a reason. I also Ice fish both bays when they freeze-still, never caught a whitefish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6667supersport likes this.

3. Jim_MI

Jim_MI

I see the John Cross tribal boat heading down that way quite frequently. And John Cross Fisheries in CVX always has fresh whitefish for sale. I sometimes wonder if they are really selling cisco as whitefish, since no recreational angler I know catches whitefish out there anymore.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

12riverfish likes this.
  4. Outdoor2daCore

Outdoor2daCore

I fish the lower bay below Elk rapids quite frequently and while whitefish do still exist they are hardly available in fishable numbers. I gotta think if cross is heading south he’s fishing somewhere in Lake Michigan, not the grand traverse bays. Speaking of got a limit of nice Lakers today with my son. Also broke off a bigger one but most fish were around 5lbers in the mid 20s for length.[​IMG]

Jobow, fisheater, andyotto and 10 others like this.
  5. Gone_Hunting

Gone_Hunting

Caught a good one last year jigging in 100fow east bay

12riverfish, UBDSLO1 and John Hine like this.
  6. Qball35

Qball35

They are there, we got something around 9 in May and early June. Mixed depths, anywhere from 15 ft to 90ft, jigging.
    Found a pod pigging out on gobies and ended up hooking 6 or so (only landed one).

946B8BA2-87F9-4CF2-97FF-BF02606377DD.jpeg D72ED928-FA46-48B1-9996-6C5B0E92933D.jpeg 315325D0-E055-4C46-94E0-45825FBC1FAD.jpeg

7. ThreeDogsDown

ThreeDogsDown

Sweet.

8. drallam

drallam

Caught a couple in June

Attached Files:

9. TVCJohn

TVCJohn

Was out at the crack of dark again putting in a B-Hill. Stayed till about 0800. No salmon nor did I see any caught. About 6 or 7 charters were out dragging. They looked like they were going for lakers to make the tourists happy. Did get one laker up to the boat on a spin dodger and my own fly. The seaweed crap that hangs up the line is starting to show up....I hate that stuff. Another beautiful sunrise.... output(225).jpg

Jobow, fishgtbay, Myler and 2 others like this.
  10. knowhowiroll

knowhowiroll

Feel bad for these tourists who do not know any better. If they could have only seen this fishery 20 years ago. Both sides Huron/Michigan.

12riverfish and ThreeDogsDown like this.
  11. Seaking Silver

Seaking Silver

Went out of Elk Rapids Thursday and Friday afternoon and evenings. Thursday was tough with the wind but managed 2 lakers, Friday was lights out. Set lines around 3 pm. 13 for 18 or so. 13 Lakers total, kept our 6 and could not keep them off looking for Salmon. Good size to all of them, one hog had to push 15 or 20 pounds, by far the biggest I’ve seen in the bay. We fished north of the harbor, Chilly Willie on 300 copper was hot, NBK, and green 11” spin doctor with pickled sunshine fly on the riggers. Fish were generally at 100 feet down.

UBDSLO1, Gone Coastal, wgorby and 9 others like this.
  12. Matt24324

Matt24324

Launch at Yuba tonight around 6:30. Went straight over to the peninsula and north from there. Ran 4 dipsys until one of the weights somehow came unscrewed and fell off . Just bought the dang thing yesturday too. Ended up 1-2. Both came on same rod, magnum dipsy 110 back. Lakers only.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

13. TVCJohn

TVCJohn

Any new salmon reports? Other than here....I haven't seen nor heard anything new. I've been tied up doing honey-do's and hunting stuff since I went out last Friday. I'll try to get out this week and see if there are any new arrivals.

John Hine likes this.
  14. ThreeDogsDown

ThreeDogsDown

Reminder! Our weekly contest brings us to South Lake Leelanau this Wednesday evening! (Bingham Launch).
    6-10pm- Biggest walleye and biggest non walleye.
    $ 10 dollars per angler.

See Me (Big tall good looking rascal) at the launch to register from 5pm to
    545pm. Exact change is appreciated.

Looking forward to slightly cooler temps!

Get your Hula Poppers tied up to your 10 color leadcore and be ready to see me re-fill my wallet!!!!

15. John Hine

John Hine

No new reports MC but I’ll be looking forward to yours! Good luck out there!