close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

**Official 2017 Muskegon Wastewater Thread**

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by LakeEffectMDHA, Oct 12, 2017.

1. jvanluyn

jvanluyn

It’s a long shot, but I’m going to take it. Is anyone looking to add an adult to a group with a youth for this Saturday. It looks like I’m hunting solo this weekend and I don’t want to drive to the WW as a solo and have to pick after 2 drawings go by. I’m more than willing to haul decoys and do what it takes for you to not regret letting me join your party. I have my own lay out and all other gear.

2. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

I know one zone for sure, possibly three that will be on the board tomorrow after the draw and have solid chances to work birds. Got a couple others I'll be giving a hard look at while scouting tonight.

jvanluyn likes this.

3. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Just watched a dozen mallards circle geese in a field for five minutes before four split off and landed and the rest blew away. Oh boy. Two weeks in and we're crouton stale in good weather...

N M Mechanical likes this.
  4. jvanluyn

jvanluyn

As of right now I’m heading there by myself. Is anyone else going solo, or have room for another guy in your party? Doesn’t have to be party in the youth draw, but I would really like to avoid drawing after 2 drawings have gone through.

5. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Draw one this morning. Set up in goose poo. Missed one chance to shoot early, then missed a long shot. Had a woodie blow through; that's a first in over 20 years up there. And that was it. First blank there since 2011. Off for $1 margaritas at Applebee's with the wife to stew this one over a bit.

Six birds checked in this am when we checked in and most had given up by then. Don't get it, great weather, 300 birds in my zone last night. Two parties this afternoon, both went to the zone we were in, hope it pans out for them. Time for an upland trip?

West side shooter likes this.
  6. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

IMAG0676.jpg Picking up decoys and we see something way up in the sky settling into our zone. Purple star balloon. That's a first.

BFG likes this.
  7. Highball28

Highball28

Drew 2nd to last in the non-youth draw. After the first half hour had two Drake singles do it exactly how you want about 15 minutes apart from each other. Thought it was gonna be a killer morning but every duck we worked after that would circle about a dozen times before either landing WAY outside of us or just bailing all together. Could've had some geese that wanted into the zone bad if we had our Mojo's on remotes. [​IMG]

8. West side shooter

West side shooter

Nothing working for us this morning either, if our zone partners would have turned off their mojo at some point things may have turned out different.
    I also thought the weather was perfect for a good day, just didn’t pan out.

9. Rasputin

Rasputin Premium Member

I drove through there yesterday afternoon. I expected to see a lot more action. I guess ND spoiled me.

10. ice ghost

ice ghost

Guess now I understand what's happening, south of you guys is loaded with mallards all of a sudden. State and private land both.

11. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Cheap spinner remote, a toggle switch and 15' of brown lamp cord from the hardware store and you're good to go and set up a great way to trip getting out of the blinds.

12. Highball28

Highball28

Interesting. How does it work exactly?

13. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Take the leads off the switch on the spinny and wire them to the lamp cord. Wire the toggle or push button switch the the other end (you may be able to reuse the spinny switch removed from the decoy). I soldered everything due to rain. I loop the Eire around my arm and throw the loop over the spinny to pack up. Mine are actually 30' on one and 75' on the other, but that's a pain.

14. Highball28

Highball28

Very cool. May have to look into that, thanks!

15. goosemanrdk

goosemanrdk

We set up in goose poo too. Didn't work out very well for us either. I am not surprised at the current mallard situation, almost 200 killed in the first week(I'd be scared after getting shot at that much), went from warm to cold overnight(thus not a lot of new birds) and all of the rain has a ton of spots now open for the birds. Hopefully things will change this week.

waterfowlhunter83 likes this.