close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

**Official-2017 Live/Semi-Live Iowa bowhunt**

Discussion in 'Out of state hunts' started by outdoor_m_i_k_e, Aug 20, 2017.

1. outdoor_m_i_k_e

outdoor_m_i_k_e

Heres an aerial of the 1700 acre nature center. Red outline is obviously the boundary. Everything outside of this is private. Blue circle is main parking for everyone. Yellow road is private. I have access to this road. I will likely park on the yellow X, and walk back in farther to where it ends to get on some of the ridges.

Nature center.jpg

bigbucks160 and Kennybks like this.
  2. Kennybks

Kennybks

Assuming the areal picture is aligned with N at the top, the wheat fields to the South would likely have good evening movement. Not being too far from the parking area, I'm guessing the southern end will be hunted heavily by the locals.

The crop areas to the North and West appear to be higher in elevation?

It looks like an interesting area for sure. Packing an animal out of those hills will be fun for sure!

Good luck!

3. outdoor_m_i_k_e

outdoor_m_i_k_e

Yes, orientated N being the top. The blue circle towards the bottom is actually the highest elevation. The yellow is the lowest. Those are crop fields to the W and NW.
    No one hunts the surrounding properties. The South and SE connected to it is still part of the "nature preserve". Between the 15 of us total hunting here, I'd bet most will localize near the blue dot, and to the NE side, where the road comes in, and the easy hiking trails are. My goal is to focus on the W and SW ridges. Away from everyone. I have a deer cart that will hopefully be put to use. I'm going to hike it/scout Saturday.

Speaking of Saturday... Below is the reason I'm not pushing real hard to hunt this opener in the city.
    [​IMG]

bigbucks160 likes this.
  4. outdoor_m_i_k_e

outdoor_m_i_k_e

So much for the weather people being right. I should have known. . . Got up to 68 today. A couple of us took my pup out to the nature center this afternoon, to do some hiking/scouting, and put up a camera. I focused on a ridge Wayyyy away from everything. It was the most extreme terrain I have ever scouted for whitetail. Hit the ridge I wanted to be on, and walked it for about a mile. Jumped what looked to be a really nice buck. Got about 50 yards past where he was bedded, and found a nice saddle that cut over to another ridge. . . Loaded with sign and trails coming and going. I put a camera up near there, and continued on to try to find a somewhat easier way out. Im going to hopefully come in from a different direction when I actually go to hang a stand and hunt it. Try from the West, where the crops are. Bad part is, its all up hill from that direction, but that will be good for getting a deer out of there.

Im ready to have a frost. The woods are still so green, and nettles are horrible. Below are a couple pictures. It was fun cleaning all these off of the pup. . .

5. outdoor_m_i_k_e

outdoor_m_i_k_e

[​IMG]

Ridge I was on looking west..
    [​IMG]

Saddle to the right runs south.

[​IMG]

6. obeRON

obeRON

Looks promising!! How are the ticks there? I've heard bad things..

7. The ticks this year on my farm in Keosauqua (Van Buren County zone6) have been extremely awful. We pull several ticks off us every single time we go out. Even if your not in the thick stuff. Actually I stay out of the timber completely and only hunt the edges. I am not sure why they are so bad. We have been in extreme drought since the beginning of June.

8. Do you have any pics of any solid shooters yet Mike?

9. outdoor_m_i_k_e

outdoor_m_i_k_e

They have been horrible this year. Every time I have stepped foot in the woods, I have pulled 3-10 off of me, and the same off of the pup. Yesterday was the first time there wasnt one on either of us. Not sure if the rain we got yesterday affected that or what.

I don't. Thats another thing that changed this year. I sold 20+ cameras. I only have 2 left. I have one out on a small piece of private, and just put up the 2nd one on the nature preserve yesterday. I had been a little carried away with cameras, plus, they were a few years old, so I wanted to upgrade. Ill be picking up a couple more, but not going to run as many this year. Im optimistic about this nature preserve. Saw some good bucks on cameras from last fall there that didnt get shot, and saw a good one on the hoof yesterday. Will see what happens. Im going back in there in different spots later this week to check out and hang a cam.

10. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

Looking forward to following along. Good luck!

11. Well good luck Mike! I hope your lucky enough for everything to come together and we see some harvest photos.

12. outdoor_m_i_k_e

outdoor_m_i_k_e

Thanks! I look forward to bringing a story to you guys. Hopefully its a successful one.

13. outdoor_m_i_k_e

outdoor_m_i_k_e

Heat index of 101 today..... It never ends...

14. Hunting18

Hunting18

Not much better in Michigan

15. outdoor_m_i_k_e

outdoor_m_i_k_e

Another 100 degree day today. Tomorrow is 7 days from season opener, so I can legally hang stands on public. No matter the temps tomorrow, Im heading to the nature preserve after breakfast to hang a stand, and pull the camera card on that ridge. Will be the last time I am in there until season.