close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

**Official-2017 Live/Semi-Live Iowa bowhunt**

Discussion in 'Out of state hunts' started by outdoor_m_i_k_e, Aug 20, 2017.

1. outdoor_m_i_k_e

outdoor_m_i_k_e

Who's ready? I know I am! A lot of changes have taken place since last year. The biggest. . I quit working on the ocean for the first time in 10 years. As of May 1, I am permanently based in Iowa. On that note, I also moved further West. Im just across the river from Omaha in Council Bluffs. On THAT note, I am not hunting my same farm that I hunted last year. It is now a 1 1/2 hr drive one way, so I subleased it out to a couple guys who are closer. Ive still spent some time out there fishing, etc. I am the only one with my name on the lease, but I told them I wouldn't go out there this year since they sub-leased it from me.

Where to start as far as hunting. . . . Well, The Iowa statewide Archery season opens October 1. I went this afternoon to qualify for an urban hunt in town here. That opens September 16. Currently working on permission for areas in the city to shoot some does. I can buy 5 tags at a time. In early/Mid October, the people who have shot 4 or more does go into a hat for 10 buck tags. Last year they gave out 5 buck tags. My goal is to shoot 10+ deer this season. That is mixed between urban and statewide. After last season, not shooting a buck, but still ending up with 5 does, Im upping the game.

While out scouting some public land a couple weeks ago, I found a good area, but it was on the border of Private land. I got their address, and went to ask for permission. They told me if I came out and shot all the coyotes I could, I would be guaranteed to be the only one to hunt their land. I showed up last night, and in an hour had a yote on the ground. Went back this morning and put 2 more down. Called in a bobcat to 40 yards, but season for them is not open until November. The land owner was so dang excited, that he has been talking to his neighbors, and gotten me permission on more property. I have yet to see that property, but next weekend Im going to check it out. There are 3 bucks that have been coming down to their pasture every night, and licking on their salt block they have for their donkeys and horses. I have 1 cam out, but Im going to put one over that salt lick near their house this weekend and see what deer they have been seeing. He said one was a "big one", but he's not a hunter, so I don't know what his definition of big is.

This year will be a little bit different from previous years, as Im not going to be taking an extended amount of time off. Im still working on acquiring as much private land as possible, but I have also found some gems on public land. My goal this year is to not pay for access to hunting property, and see how it goes. If I take a buck on public, I probably wont stick to the 5.5 year old minimum that I had last year on that big farm.

I am also planning on a weekend hunt on a public piece that I have been researching in Nebraska mid November, and I bought an 8ft bass baby boat that I am in the middle of building a duck blind for. Its going to be a mixed bag of a thread this year, but should be fun!

27 days and counting until the urban hunt starts. Ill be in a tree on September 16!

2. Jet08

Jet08

Subscribed! Can't wait to tag along with you on your adventures this year Mike.

U of M Fan and William floyd like this.

3. marcus619

marcus619

I've been waiting for this day to come. Bring on the story, can't wait to see what adventures you have this year.

4. Hunting18

Hunting18

Good luck this year, I can't wait to follow along! It is going to be a heck of a change from last year I have a feeling... Nebraska has some good land if you put in some time to research, I was there last year.

5. QDMAMAN

QDMAMAN Premium Member

I think we're screwed Mike. This showed up on Facebook today!:(
    [​IMG]

U of M Fan and kingfisher 11 like this.
  6. Kennybks

Kennybks

Those are all first names.. right?

7. QDMAMAN

QDMAMAN Premium Member

TBD! :lol::lol:

Kennybks likes this.
  8. outdoor_m_i_k_e

outdoor_m_i_k_e

Thanks guys. It will be fun, but definitely different than last year. I am still trying to accept the fact that I wont see as many bucks as last year. I dont know if I will ever top that as far as sightings go.

Tony, I go by Mike, so that doesn't apply to me. My hunting license even says so.

As far as Nebraska, Im probably just going for a long weekend. Its a honey hole I have been researching for a couple years now. From what I understand, I wont see another person, but will see a lot of deer. I don't know the quality, but it will be a good mid November tent camping experience somewhere new.

Ill try to get some photos up soon. I definitely figured out how out of shape I am when I started putting cameras in the hills here. . . . Im talking like 150ft vertical hills my puppy had a hard time running up without being out of breath, and he's only 8 months old. . . .The people around here don't climb hills to hunt. Too difficult.

I was told by one property owner that the last time someone hunted their property, the guy only saw 1 deer the entire year. . . . .Ive seen more than that just going to put a camera up. . . I have a feeling the guy didn't actually "hunt".

QDMAMAN likes this.
  9. outdoor_m_i_k_e

outdoor_m_i_k_e

Ill prove that wrong before the statewide opens October 1!!!(hopefully)

Hunting18 and QDMAMAN like this.
  10. William floyd

William floyd

i cant wait to see how it unfolds.

11. Good luck Mike! I will be following along from Keosauqua... I think you will see plenty of bucks. No worries there. Your in Iowa. I have been getting some pretty good pics. I know exactly which spot I will be in October 1. Dreaming about it daily! I sure could use some rain though. I tilled under 6 acres of beans that didn't make it because of drought conditions and replanted two weeks ago. it rained the two days after I planted so I timed it perfectly and they germinated rather quickly. I am lucky enough to have met and gotten to know Jesse Knox(doubletree's son) some and using his knowledge has been incredible. I feel like a pretty much have an expert at my disposal. Jesse is great and always willing to help. He has been invaluable... I can't wait to see your cam pics and success.

12. RMH

RMH Premium Member

Can anybody hook me up?

[​IMG]

13. outdoor_m_i_k_e

outdoor_m_i_k_e

Got out last week to pull a card on public land, and put up a cam on some private ground I got permission on. The public land card had several bucks, but all 3.5 and younger. Its not a piece I expected to have a lot of deer on it until the rut.

I was planning on hanging stands, and cameras this weekend, and getting ready for the urban hunt which opens on Sep 16. I even had a 4 day weekend(Thurs-Sunday). . . I have been laid up with the flu since Friday, so needless to say, not a lot happened. Hoping to kick it, and get out this week since next Saturday is the urban hunt opener.

bigbucks160, Rainbowjack and Kennybks like this.
  14. walleyerick

walleyerick

Looking forward to your reports Mike. Best of luck to you. Is the land in Western Iowa pretty wide open?

15. outdoor_m_i_k_e

outdoor_m_i_k_e

Quick update: Had time yesterday after work to go knock on some doors for the urban hunt in the city limits. I was starting with all the properties 5-25 acres. Went 0-10. Mostly people who said the deer were "friends", and only 1 anti hunting lady. Im not overly concerned, because Saturday is the opener, and its supposed to be mid 80's. . . Its 91 here today. I dont want to sit in that.

I ran out of time because I had to go meet someone from the DNR. I managed to get in on a limited hunt in a nature preserve. Only a max of 20 guys, and as of last night, total is 15 guys. The property is 1700 acres, with crops on 1 side, and 99% timber. Its in the Loess hills, so its steep. . . very steep. . . Seems most of the guys are there to shoot 1 doe for meat close to the truck. Im going to dig in and scout it out this weekend, and hang some cams.

The total deer quota for this is 10 does, 1 archery buck, and 1 shotgun buck. Not per hunter. . . Total. . . Last year they barely filled the quota. As I said, I think most of the guys are there to shoot 1 doe. Have to use state wide tags, there are no special tags like the urban hunt here in town. The guy from the DNR showed me trail camera pictures of several 150-160 deer from last fall, that did not get killed. With only 1 access point to this property, (away from crops), Im going to dig in deep. I already managed a private road through the crop field edge to access the back side of the property. I may put in a good amount of time here if no one kills a buck with archery gear.

It depends. The Loess hills here have a TON of timber, but its extremely steep terrain. . . Some hills are literally impossibly to climb. . Vertical. There is a lot of open ground, but I wouldnt say its any less timbered than other areas. The SW area may actually have more timber than normal, just hard to hunt because of terrain. Im planning on that giving me the advantage. Im willing to work for it.

bigbucks160 likes this.