Offal

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by ~LA~, May 14, 2018.

1. ~LA~

~LA~

Hi. I was wondering if anybody has any offal available or any for sale? Or, do you know of any good suggestions on how to obtain any? Thanks

2. zig

zig

Offal? As in animal organs? For what use?

3. ~LA~

~LA~

Yes, I began feed my cats and dog a raw diet. For them to have a balanced diet, they need more than just protein, but organs as well. I know some people may be against feeding their animals raw...

4. zig

zig

Huh. Interesting. Well, you probably know more about this than me.... But, the protein content in most organ meat will be pretty comparable to regular muscle meat, with the exception of brains, which are pretty low in protein I think. But, organs do have a lot of other stuff like iron, zinc, even things like selenium. I buy offal every now and again, but as a foodie, not for my dogs. Liver, heart, kidney, tripe, etc. are all pretty available, you just have to know where to look. The first and easiest would be quality grocery stores in more inner city/ethnic areas. It's retail prices, but it's all still usually pretty cheap. If you don't live near anything like that, find a slaughterhouse in your area. And, I don't mean like Cargill or Tyson, but a local family processor. They're out there, you just have to look. Most of them will look at you funny, as you what the heck you want that stuff for, then sell it to you pretty cheap.

~LA~ likes this.
  5. ~LA~

~LA~

Thanks for the tip!

6. Waif

Waif

There is a group that will meet at a nearby community by me if enough is ordered.
    You could look up raw dog food co- op near you.
    Here is an example.http://dogaware.com/diet/rawgroups.html

I don' t recall the name by me....But we looked into organs and meats.
    If I had another freezer.......

~LA~ likes this.
  7. ~LA~

~LA~

I will have to try that. I think it’s just going to take a lot of searching. Thanks!