oddest/ridiculous encounters while deer hunting

Discussion in 'General Michigan Hunting' started by birddogg87, Sep 27, 2017.

1. birddogg87

birddogg87

Me and my buddies hunt state land and every year we come across the usual guy who can't find his stand or one year I had a guy set up 100 yards from me- nothing I could do but when he forget to turn off his headlamp until the sun came up I started to not only shake my head but chuckle as well, I've had guys sitting in my stand and even had a trio of people who triangulated pop up blinds perfectly with my stand in the center. I've had a buck grunt and stomp feet from me in brush because my buddies thought doe urine on my boots would do the trick(first time I wouldn't have consented to an advancement). I'd like to hear everyone's funny what the hell moments while hunting.

2. birddogg87

birddogg87

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1506550850.091094.jpg

Here's how I often feel

mjh4, thill, 392tman and 13 others like this.

3. Big Skip

Big Skip

I had an 8 point broadside in front of me last year that I killed....that's odd for me.

Brian Berg, wolf man, Td922 and 9 others like this.
  4. buggs

buggs

Had people try to kick us off our own property - more than once!!!!

Hunterog, Td922, Trout King and 6 others like this.
  5. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Still hunted for three hours never saw a deer. Was within 50' of the car and a rabbit took off and stopped. The 20 is spot on, so wanting bunny b q for dinner I head popped him with a slug when he stopped and looked around. Six point blows out from right next to the car as soon as I shot.

6. FullQuiver

FullQuiver

Once was hunting along a friends sizable piece of property and this guy comes by 20 minutes before dark yelling his fool off.. He's lost (he was small game hunting on federal land over a half a mile away)..

I let him keep going as I might see something or push something my way then he comes by again and again so I finally climb down from my tree to go talk to him.. When I walk up to him he runs up to me and gives me a hug as he thought he was going to die in the woods that night. Now this was many years ago and I was around 16 or 17 at the time, and I brought him out to his car and ended up having a very long walk home chuckling most of the way there.. Although he had crossed several property boundaries then, it was bow season and none of the land at that time was posted.. He had no idea where he was in relation to his vehicle.. It was kind of funny watching this guy come by me 3 times in a panic.. You just had to see it... In parting I told him to get a compass and a topo map and this wouldn't happen again...

7. Quack Addict

Quack Addict

November 14, about 20 years ago. Not really state land related but funny nonetheless.

My brother and I were driving west on 10 and we we got onto one of those REALLY long straight aways. We were in the left lane trying to pass an oblivious woman that would speed up and slow down as we were trying to get past her. Way off in the distance we could see something, in the right lane. She kept up this cat & mouse game, fixated on the road in front of her, but completely not seeing the homemade shooting shack that had fallen off someone's trailer ahead of her, in her lane. I guess the camo job worked...

She locked up her brakes and stopped close enough to the shack I'm sure she had to reverse to get around it. Couldn't believe she didn't convert it into a drive-thru.

Far Beyond Driven and petronius like this.
  8. DanielGVSU19

DanielGVSU19

explain lol

9. DanielGVSU19

DanielGVSU19

loooool epic

itchn2fish likes this.
  10. michigandrake

michigandrake

Hunting one of my better swamp stands one morning and a couple hours after light I hear movement coming from the opposite side of the swamp. Kinda loud and pretty steady. After 15 minutes or so I can hear two guys talking. I figure they must be tracking. Now they are moving through some nasty cover and it's slow going. Another 20 minutes pass and now they are getting close and I can hear them talking about what a good spot this is and look at that rub line and there's another rub line over there. Man these guys are excited. One of them finally steps into view, about 30 yard out. I give him a whistle and the look on his face was priceless. First words out of his mouth are " I can't believe anyone would hunt so deep in the swamp." I tell him I access from the west side and it's just a couple hundred yards as the crow flies to an old logging road. You could just tell he was crushed. I explain how you can only go half way into the swamp before you are headed out the other side. I guess he didn't think that was funny because he called me an a$$#ole and went right back the way he came with his buddy in tow. I figure I saved their lives because dragging a deer out that way would have killed him and his buddy.

11. petronius

petronius

One year I was hunting state land in Missaukee County. I was sitting in a pop up blind and about to dose off when I heard a noise. I looked out the side window and saw a young doe walking about 10 feet away. I didn't have an anterless permit, so I watched her for a minute as she walked back and forth staring at the blind. Finally, I got out of the blind, but the doe didn't run off, just moved back about 30 feet. Then it came back and stared at me. Nothing I did scared it away until I threw rocks at it.

12. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

I've had enough strange things happen on private property to feel the need to experience state land.

13. Sasquatch Lives

Sasquatch Lives

Walked up on a drunk passed out guy hunched over sitting on the ground against a tree. Thought he was dead at first but then heard him snore. Bottle of hooch and a bunch of puke on the ground next to him...............Back when I used to chew Levi Garrett and spit out of my tree stand, I once had a spike buck come up and sniff my spit and then began licking it! Felt bad for him so I shooed him away haha.

Perferator likes this.
  14. Jimbos

Jimbos

8 weeks a year in Petoskey, 44 in Livonia
    I had a doe go past me while I was still hunting full tilt about 2 feet away.

15. Timberdoodle2

Timberdoodle2

me and a buddy were headed back to camp on north manitou island and were at least a half mile out, we were on the south east shore of the lake, came up to a old privey sized shack at dusk thirty. a guy opened the door and asked us how to get back to camp, told him the directions and he tried to tell us differently, we told him to follow our tracks. he was lost we wernt and the snow was coming down fast.. sometimes you cant fix stupid.. he was going to spend the night out there had we not come by.