Odd Sightings While Deer Hunting

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Bearblade, May 9, 2020.

1. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

If I did it would be protected by copyright. lol

Sparky23, MichiFishy and Waif like this.
  2. Marty H

Marty H

I was in a tree blind once several years ago west of Ionia and an escapee from one of the prisons in his orange jump suit came strolling by. I said to him " You need to go back home ! " He looked all over for me but I never said another word.

3. bucknasty11208

bucknasty11208

Over the last 3-4 years i've had two bobcats sneak in on me. Just happened to turn my head and there they were no more than 30 yards away just prowling through. The first one I saw, I did something stupid....I squeeked like a mouse or some sort of vermin. That cat stopped on a dime and started looking for dinner. Thank goodness after a minute or so of not being able to find the source of the sound it continued on its way. Beautiful animals.

The next odd sighting happened about 4-5 years ago. I was in my stand watching a nice 8pt at about 22 yards. There was a stick blocking its vitals but if it continued on the path it was, it would have come around the pine trees in front of me and given me a 20-25 quartering away shot in the wide open. He stood in the same spot for a couple minutes before snapping his head up and looking straight west directly away from me. Im thinking to myself, coyote, person, bobcat, bear, another deer etc. All of a sudden he tucked tail and took off like a scalded dog running 5 ft from the base of my tree. About 20 yards behind him was a piebald 8pt that was probably 75% white, hot on his heals. That normal 8pt was a decent size deer but he wanted nothing to do with that piebald. I don't know if he thought he was going to get a butt whoopin' or butt raped but he was gone, last seen about 75 yards out, heading away running for his life with "snowball" in hot pursuit. I can say this about snowball....his rack was dark and pretty spindly, but he looked like he never missed a meal....EVER! Very, very healthy looking deer body wise.

I once saw a wood duck walking down a dirt two track in the middle of nowhere. No water for quite a ways that I was aware of and he didn't have any other ducks with him. I thought that was a bit odd.

4. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

One of the coolest things I've seen was last November 1. While hunting that morning a Bald Eagle landed in a tree about 30 yards away from me. While watching it I caught movement to my right. Here came a doe being trailed by a really nice 8 point buck. Such I ended up shooting.
    One of the oddest things I have ever seen was some years ago when we lived in the Yoop. My oldest son and I were out hunting on opening day of gun ,he was 12 years old so he was sitting with me. We were all set up ruffly a 1/2 mile deep from the road. While it's still dark we see lights that look like they were dancing in the air about 10 foot or so above ground. They floated along threw the woods past us at about 75yards. At first I thought must of been someone walking in to hunt. But the closer they got I realized that wasn't the case. Later while telling what we saw to a few people, I was informed that Ojibawa say that that was spirits from past hunting parties. Don't know if it was or not, but it was Erie.

5. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

051.JPG
    Did it look anything like this?

6. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

No lol ,not the moon. It actually looked like a bunch of fire flies that floating and moving along. Kinda had a glow to them.

Sparky23 and Nostromo like this.
  7. Trout King

Trout King

I wasn't hunting, but working at the local state park as a summer ranger while in college. I always worked the late shift and was often given exterior patrol duty looking around the rec area. Anyway, pulled up to a van parked late in one of the lots, saw a lot of movement in the back. The door slides open and one of my buddies stepdad's steps out, followed by my friends mom. They were getting down like kids! He even offered me a slice of pizza I had to turn down.

8. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

"Parkers" and skinny dippers. Yep. When I look back on it, what a buzzkill I was. I guess some things never change...

As far as hunting observations, a few of you might remember this panther I saw early season. I reported it on LFTS, but it never garnered as much attention as I figured it would. Oh well, they show up from time to time around here. Safe, as long as they leave the sheep and cattle alone.

20191005_090257.jpg

9. Trout King

Trout King

The neighbor next to my grandparents old farm is always a sight to behold. He is always out in the pasture screaming obscenities at his cattle. Absolutely insane how he acts back there. The deer don't blink an eye, I am.sure they are more accustomed to it than I.

When you see him around or in the road he is a very nice guy, but a bit spaced out.

10. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

lol. That's not the moon. It was a single light that floated/flew over the trees and down the path I was on. It was in the southern part of Marquette county near the Dickinson border.
    044.JPG This is the trail after it was gone. (snow)
    058.JPG This is the same area the next day.

11. usedtobeayooper

usedtobeayooper

Most humorous I can recall had to be years ago on public when some “kid” came sneaking (more like trampling) though the woods under my bow stand in a head-to-toe ghillie suite blowing on his grunt call about every 3 seconds. I truly think he “thought” he was still hunting, but he was making one hell of a racket stepping on every branch he could find and blowing waaaaaay too hard in that poor grunt call. Sounded more like a sick beagle in chase of a rabbit than anything else. Wasn’t seeing much that night anyway, so I took it for what it was… and enjoyed a good laugh.

12. Baybum

Baybum

A certain section of state land last year, no matter where i would hunt the same spindly black farm cat would walk underneath me. I think all my spots must have been on his morning walking route.

Same section of state land. Had a peacock strut by me. I could see the blue head in the thick stuff for a ways but couldnt figure it out. Screenshot_20200511-104949.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

13. Quack Addict

Quack Addict

My son and I were driving back from a hunt a couple years ago and there was a loon trying to walk across the road. They're really clumsy on land and can't walk well because their feet are back farther on their body than a duck/goose, so they can't walk because their center of gravity is so far forward on their body. Looked like it had paddled up a tiny creek then got out of the water when it got thick and went on land.

Parked my truck, got out, threw my baseball cap over it to keep it from biting me. Picked it up we and walked it about 75 yards back to a small channel off a larger lake. Set it in the water and it excitedly swam off a little, dove, popped back up watched us for a second, then made a call before turning and heading out into the lake.

An older guy was outside raking leaves about 100 yards away that I had not seen until I heard clapping. Looked over and the guy shouted something about how he always thought hunters were just killers but watching us gave him pause to reconsider. A real cool experience; my son and I still talk about it quite a bit.

14. bowhunter1

bowhunter1

A chickadee landing on my nocked arrow. I also had an owl swoop at my head/hat. Fortunately I must have moved at just the right time and altered his flight plan.

15. Hammer62

Hammer62

Sitting in my groundblind one morning waiting for the sun to come up and something crashed into my bow limb and dropped at my feet. Flick on my light and there was a bat....no not a Louisville slugger. He made some eerie noises, composed itself and the flew away.