close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Octagon metal roof questions

Discussion in 'Michigan Homesteading and Home Improvement' started by Hear fishy fishy, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Hear fishy fishy

Hear fishy fishy

Working on the roof of my deer blind. The roof is octagon and getting ready to put cap on the seems or try and seal them up. I didn't want to go with roof cap for the size and price. I tried using a price of corner steel and bend it in place but it looks out of place and a lot of fitting. I have seen pictures of octagon roofs with a little piece of trim cap. Anyone know what it's called or where to buy it? Also open to any other ideas at this point. Thank You in advance!

2. HemlockNailer

HemlockNailer

Buy a roll of aluminum roof flashing. Comes in different widths and colors. Easy to bend and not too pricey.

3. -Axiom-

-Axiom-

Don't mix metal types, if it is steel use steel.

The place you bought the metal from should have the cap piece.

Hear fishy fishy likes this.
  4. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

How about cutting some of the flat area of a sheet of the same roofing you used on the blind. You can actually score the roofing a number of times with a sharp Stanley knife and flex it to get it to break. You will get some rusting along the edges as it will be raw steel but will be neater than if you use a saw.

5. Hear fishy fishy

Hear fishy fishy

Talked to a few people today about it going to tar the joints and then take corner cap and bend it almost flat and attach it. Thank You again for the comments.

6. storman

storman

Don't use flashing cement use a decent caulk solar seal or something similar.

7. Nighthawk

Nighthawk

Curious why not mix metal ? I have a very small steel roof project and thought about adding a length of alum bent along the ridge under the mfg steel ridge cap as added protection from wind driven rain. I do have the foam inserts to fit the ribs also.

8. Waif

Waif Premium Member

Disimilar metals corrode.

9. HemlockNailer

HemlockNailer

Not in the lifetime of a deer blind.

Waif likes this.
  10. Waif

Waif Premium Member

If I tried it it , with my luck it would corrode fast!

Plan to have a perm blind next year . Would like it to last a couple decades without roof attention.

11. Hear fishy fishy

Hear fishy fishy

Want to get 45 years out of it. I figure build it right and never touch it again.

12. HemlockNailer

HemlockNailer

Tell that to the squirrels,mice, chipmunks and porkies. You will likely get less than ten years.

13. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

Hemlock You forgot ants. I keep some ant poison in my tower all of the time.

14. Nighthawk

Nighthawk

I'm thinkin diff metals may react between 40 and forever years. shrug ??.

15. Hear fishy fishy

Hear fishy fishy

I have wrapped the bottom in aluminum and have it going up under the siding. I am going to seal the siding with quad caulk. I will not have any plywood or treated lumber exposed to the out side. Siding will be sealed with caulk. My understanding is to keep all the insects out and prevent the wood peckers from hammering into it. My concern is the door at this point to keep the mice out but think I will be able to seal it up. I also hope the bears leave it alone. Know a guy who has build several and got lots of pointers from him.