NWSG from NRCS

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by ekbelt3, Apr 25, 2018.

1. ekbelt3

ekbelt3

Anybody have experience with planting this mix? It is Big and Little Blue stem, Indian Grass, CIR switch, and some other forms of switch I don’t know the names. It also has some wildflowers mixed in. If you did plant it, did the deer use it for bedding and did it provide some cover in the Winter?

jparks02 likes this.
  2. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

We have 10 acres of this mix, CREP. I personally dont like it. It will be beat down during the winter. I have seen a few deer bed in it, but to be fair we have some great bedding areas near our grass field. The good is deer are very comfortable while in it & we get paid to have it. Are u looking to get into a program? I believe Sniper has this mix also & he loves it, hope he sees this thread.

jparks02 likes this.

3. ekbelt3

ekbelt3

We are in a cost-share program with US fish and wildlife. I may add more CIR to the mix if you say it is beat down in the winter. We are trying to create more cover in a sparse AO 40 acre open field.

jparks02 likes this.
  4. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

If u can add more cir then that in my opinion would work way better

cakebaker and jparks02 like this.
  5. sniper

sniper

I have 34 acres enrolled in the crep program which includes the grasses you mention above and overall pretty happy with it..As HMW mentioned it does not hold up to heavy snow well but from a hunting standpoint here in the slp, it really doesn't come into play until after December so I haven't experienced it really hurting our hunting much...Deer still use it through December...I am surrounded by ag and hardwoods so my plan was to make bedding and it has worked well...Deer travel through these fields all season long and we find multiple beds when tracking deer or walking through it after the season....Downside is it is tough to see deer in it at times and blood tracking is a nightmare...We've killed many deer traveling in and out of this stuff and overall I'd probably do it again....

Attached Files:

6. ekbelt3

ekbelt3

Thanks for the information. We will likely plant it in smaller 2-5 acre clumps and add food plots or shrubs to supplement feeding over time. I have a pipe dream of holding deer all year long on our property but when we are transforming an old abandoned field that takes a ton of time.

7. hunterrep

hunterrep

I have 13 acres of it and echo exactly what HMW and Sniper said to the word. I have recently sprayed and planted straight switch in 8' wide strips in a checkerboard fashion. The reason is if the snow takes down the CREP grasses, which it will, these switch strips stay up and I'm not left with a useless 13 acre pancake field. As far as the Forbes in the mix, they eat the heck out of it and I love that part.
    As someone suggested, I would add much more switch to the mix.

Wild Thing and sniper like this.