Nw rivers report

Discussion in 'North West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by Mr Burgundy, Sep 4, 2020.

1. MoJoRisin'

MoJoRisin'

Well...let's just say its wayyy different so far this year than last. Didn't mean to sound like a PIA. Our camper was on one of the hotspots last year and it got to be a bit too much w all the traffic. Had problems just trying to make dinner and have a fire.

Whitetail_hunter likes this.
  2. longline69

longline69

yes that hole seems to always have fish,just most of the time guys never leave that hole

3. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

I only caught a few out of that area this year. A big tree went down earlier this year and its quite "snaggy" in there now. Much better holes around to float

4. longline69

longline69

will be up there on the 18th vtp are they having problems with people crowding the bank on sites

5. MoJoRisin'

MoJoRisin'

Yep..new downfalls will lower success rate there. Crowded sites...not so much yet....until the push arrives.

Copper44 likes this.
  6. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

Need permission now to fish behind people's campsites

Copper44 likes this.
  7. longline69

longline69

I'm on water site on north peninsula always have to say something to people because of lack of respect,been going to vtp for 23years

8. longline69

longline69

that rule only worked so so last year

9. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Never been in that area, and have zero plans to... but are the guys on shore or in the water? If they are in the water and I had a site, I’d be cautious of saying anything at all.

10. longline69

longline69

no I don't say anything when in the water that's first come first serve,it's when they come out of water and decide to take over picnic table and walk across carpet and under my awning

TK81 likes this.
  11. Ojh

Ojh

Whats 'vtp'?
    Any of you guys kept a fishing log book? can you look back 4 years and see if that was a bad year for fish? I remember a couple years running when there weren't any fish, one of those years I boated less than a half dozen fish. If there weren't any fish 4 years ago then there won't be any fish this year. Right? All natural spawn, no stocking. I'd check my log book but its in the fish camp, a bit of a drive for me to read.
    Thanks, Oj

12. jmaddog8807

jmaddog8807

Snuck out after work. Checked a quick hole, no fish. Went and checked a run I new fish were in from the weekend, 3rd cast with a stick and bam. I knew I hooked the big fish I saw Sunday. 10 minute battle and I thought I had hit my 30lb goal this year. I was the only one around which sucks bc I couldn’t get a pic of me holding the fish. Hell of night regardless. She measured in at 42 inches, 28.2lbs, and had a 25 inch belly. My personal best river king so far....so far

Curious what you all think....do fish lose weight after being bled and sitting in a cooler for two hours? My buddy says yes. I don’t know, but I won’t be leaving the house without my scale from now on lol. IMG_0506.JPG IMG_0508.JPG 62138924778__A58030B6-32B4-4BEE-90F3-EE453490D855.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

TK81, Nostromo, foxfire69 and 11 others like this.
  13. Slimits

Slimits

They lose a ton of weight when they hit rivers too. Prolly a 30 plus on the lake. Was meat still pink?

14. MoJoRisin'

MoJoRisin'

42" probably was over 30lb at some point. Great catch regardless. Congratulations!

15. jmaddog8807

jmaddog8807

Meat still looked pretty clean. I don't eat them usually, just give them away to friends and family. I'll save a nice steak though and see what it's like. The salmon I have been catching so far have all been really nice with great fillets.