NW Indiana?

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by TheSteelDeal, Oct 26, 2020.

1. TheSteelDeal

TheSteelDeal Premium Member

Ok so not Michigan but I’m asking the Michigan whitetail hunters. I have to go visit family friends? We are going near Rochester the 2nd week of November for a couple days. Does anybody know how hard the public gets hunted? Is it worth knocking on a few doors? Or Should I just leave my gear home. Any help would be appreciated. It’s November for Pete’s sake’s!!!

2. JS714

JS714

I certainly can't help, so I'll apologize for that right off. What's the trip for? The event might dictate the answer. A couple of days isn't much either and having to buy a license there. But, what do these family friends say about that same question? Not hunters? They may know some though. Where will you be staying? Rural? Google maps and knocking on a few doors might be the ticket in that case. Bottom line...I'd never leave home in November without at least some of my gear...you'd hate to get a chance and not have it.

bowhunter42 likes this.

3. up520

up520

Where your headed isn't far from me but I'm not much help. That area is full of farmland so that may take some pressure off of public. However, there are the paid chicken kicks at state parks during this time so there will be some pressure from those hunters and lots of shot raining down on ya. Like JS said maybe your family or their coworkers might be able to set you on the right path.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

4. TheSteelDeal

TheSteelDeal Premium Member

Asking if I should take my gear was kinda Rhetorical. My bow case is a 70s soft case(very thin) I hunt from a saddle, and my freelance back pack never leaves my car. So heck yeah I am taking my gear. I don’t know these people yet so I will feel them out when I get there. Also my in-laws know me, Know how I feel about bow season, and they are stuck with me so...I’ll be going out somewhere somehow. I may not hunt but at least try to lay some ground work for future. I am surly not asking for a handout(although I wouldn’t pass one up) just some insight. So anything is helpful. Guys shooting birds is super helpful! Now, if I see a bunch of trucks I know not to assume they are All deer hunters. He!l, a good place for a burger and beer is helpful. I appreciate anything. One of the many reasons why this forum is a great Resources.

Dish7 and DM90 like this.
  5. DM90

DM90

There is actually a pretty decent amount of public land in Oakland Co. and it does tend to produce some decent deer every year. Pressure will be high due to the close proximity to the major population centers, but there is always the chance to use some of that pressure to your advantage. One thing I feel like I have to do is remind you to be careful out there. There is a ton of hunters in the woods on public land in zone 3 during gun season and they aren't always careful about knowing what is beyond their target. Wear a lot of orange and keep yourself somewhat visible. Good luck out there!