notify people where you hunt!

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by brushbuster, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

Hmmm. I just tell my wife not to worry, until the phone rings....

Richard Cranium likes this.
  2. Tilden Hunter

Tilden Hunter

My family could never find me either, but they can contact a hunting buddy of mine that can.

old graybeard likes this.

3. Biggbear

Biggbear

I used to trap with an older guy, he was in his late 70's when another older trapper we knew passed away on his line, it took the authorities 3 days to find him. That was it for my buddy's wife. She made him mark all his spots on a map( they would have had no clue how to use Onx or Huntstand). My next time up I ran his whole line with him, even his secret spots just in case. It gave his family some peace of mind because he always said going out like that "old guy" we knew would be just fine with him.

Nickbarg83 and FullQuiver like this.
  4. micooner

micooner

I use a app called life 360. I run my coonhound alone most of the time. Gives my wife some comfort knowing where I am located late at night.

5. Firefighter

Firefighter

At the very least, make sure you have your cellphone. Most dispatch centers can ping your phone and get the coordinates in an emergency. If you are truly concerned for someone, call 911 and provide the dispatcher with your missing party's cell number.

We track down coordinates all the time for injured hikers, bikers, hunters, etc.

anagranite, TK81, Nickbarg83 and 15 others like this.
  6. Scout 2

Scout 2 Premium Member

Would that work if there is no cell phone service. I live in an area that has very little for cell phone service so we do not have them

TK81 likes this.
  7. Badfishmi

Badfishmi

I saw this mentioned and I’ll second it. I and my wife share location on our iPhones. So as long as my phones with me she should be able to locate me. She always knows what property I’m going to. As a saddle hunter I hunt different trees and areas a lot. I also keep a small external battery charged in my pack just in case.

TK81 and brushbuster like this.
  8. JimP

JimP Hunter gatherer Premium Member

Formerly Rochester Hills, Finally! Wellston
    Notify people where you hunt!
    Me: "Honey, I'll be on the back porch!"

9. Firefighter

Firefighter

I don't know if it works on GPS or cellular.

I'll look into it and get back with an answer. Give me a few days.

brushbuster, up520 and Scout 2 like this.
  10. Scout 2

Scout 2 Premium Member

Thanks

11. zimmzala

zimmzala Premium Member

There are other options out there as well, ie plb's, personal location beacon, you can hit that and everyone under the sun will be out looking for you in minutes. They work on satellite so cell service isn't and issue. If that's a bit much, Garmin and spot x make a locator that can track you and send it to family and you can two way text.. That too works on satellite. The Garmin has a SOS feature for search and rescue, in not sure about the spot x. Both of these require a subscription and the units aren't cheap however they work. Also in case you did have to hit them and have S&R come out and life flight you out of there you can get insurance for that for about $20 a year, beats $70,000 for that flight.

Scout 2, TK81 and brushbuster like this.
  12. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

I usually hunt with my cousin, but not always. My wife knows the area pretty good and so does my Dad from the few times he’s hunted around here with me. This week my cousin was in Wyoming hunting so I was flying solo. Him and I generally send OnX snapshots to each other just to let each other know where we ended up. I have been doing the same with my wife this past week. I’m young and still feel pretty bulletproof, but injuries happen too and service is spotty. At least they’ll know where to start looking.

My Dad does the same thing for me when he goes ice fishing. More for a general idea, but it’s a nice piece of mind that I can haul asss looking for him if he doesn’t text or call. Ever since I was a kid he beat it into me that you let someone know and now that we have cell phones, I let my wife know when we are headed in and when we make it to shore. I usually text her when I’m back at the vehicle after hunting too. It isn’t a bad habit.

13. WMU05

WMU05 Premium Member

When I go on solo public land hunts, I leave my wife a full page of info, which includes names and GPS coordinates of stand sites I have either hunted in the past or e-scouted. I tell her each morning or evening where I'm going. If I move to a new location, I'll text her coordinates and a map pin. I also leave contact info for the local CO and sherrif. If she doesn't here from me by 10:00 PM, she's to start calling authorities.

Her and I both feel better with a plan.

14. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

That's good info about the track feature. I didn't know that. I don't know if I want my buddies to have log in abilities though. I have top secret spots you know

15. pescadero

pescadero Premium Member

It will still work for you, but that location data will not be available to anyone else unless you have at least a temporary data connection.