notify people where you hunt!

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by brushbuster, Oct 29, 2020.

1. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

At least I know you care.

QDMAMAN likes this.
  2. thill

thill

I just had this conversation with my fiancé and brother. Last Sat I was hunting solo on public land and walked 2.9 miles before finding a spot I liked. I had enough cell service to text, but not enough to share a spot on onx or send a screenshot. I slipped while climbing the tree and was hanging horizontally for a minute before I finally righted myself. It got me thinking about what ifs...
    I haven't tested this yet, but my solution is to give my brother and fiancé my log in info for onx and always start a track when I leave my truck and turn it off when I return safely. I'm hoping they will be able to log on and see exactly where my latest tracks are. This should work whether I have cell service or not.

3. Old lund

Old lund

Mine too old gray beard but my hunting partners know

4. brushbuster

I would be interested in those results. Do you save a map a head of time and use it off grid?

5. brushbuster

Yeah not having service is always on my mind when I go in to new areas. Tonight I will be heading into an area that isn't marked on my maps not sure where exactly I will end up, and I know service is spotty. Its a problem for sure.

Scout 2 likes this.
  6. 6thMichCav

6thMichCav

Good advice. While I have done this fishing and hunting since I was a kid, I think the fastest way to get a response is to put a GPS tracking chip on my credit cards. My wife would get to those ASAP. Whether she bothered to find me or not would be another question...

7. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

I have good cell service, every where I deer hunt. My wife has the address for where I hunt in Monroe county. It is the only place that I ever hunt alone.

8. Gsphunteronpoint1

Gsphunteronpoint1

My 5 year old son can find my stands better than my wife can. He knows every spot where a stand is and every spot I sit on the ground.

9. thill

thill

I always save the map ahead of time if I know I won't have reliable cell service. But even if I didn't, the tracking feature will still work, you just won't get any topo or satellite imagery.

brushbuster likes this.
  10. thill

thill

If you haven't already, save the map and use it offline while on airplane mode. I swear, using my onx on airplane mode doesn't drain the battery a bit.

brushbuster likes this.
  11. Sewey

Sewey

When on the family farm, my dad knows all my spots and I usually tell him where I'm headed. He was ready to come look for me last night as it was well past dark and I wasn't back to the truck yet due to tracking the turkey I shot. I missed his call as I was just getting the bird out of the brush, sent him a text of the bird once I got him out and he was waiting for me at the barn.

When up on state land for deer camp the BIL and I always plan out where we are sitting and know where each other are. We also text periodically throughout the hunt if we see anything or hear any close shots.

12. goosebandit2

goosebandit2

I hunt 90% of the time by myself so I always send a screenshot of my location. I text my wife when I get into the stand and back to the truck. Lots of my spots are 1-2 miles back. I started doing this after I finished hunting in my climber one night I was walking back to the truck with my climber on my back, I tripped and fell in the dark and the climber hit me in the back of the head knocking me out. After that I started letting her know exactly where I am and when I get to and from stands.

Sent from my E6810 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    brushbuster likes this.
  13. sniper

sniper

My Dad is in the process of going through a bunch of tests so doctors can try and figure out why his pulse rate is only around 40 beats per minute. Should be between 60-70 per minute. Right now Docs are not allowing him to hunt by himself. It’s driving him nuts he has to wait for me or one of his buddies to hunt. As we get older, every precaution is necessary. Stay safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

14. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Same idea for fishing guys. I have a white board on my back door and I always leave the location. Your spouse can't collect the insurance unless they have a body so at least it gives them a starting place...

TK81 and brushbuster like this.
  15. U.P.Grouse Chaser

U.P.Grouse Chaser

Both my wife and daughter know where my stands are and where to find me. However if I am out with the dog looking for birds I'd be difficult to find . If something were to happen most of the places I hunt for birds I get enough cell service to drop a pin on google maps and text my location.