Notice of Assessment Time

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by Luv2hunteup, Feb 27, 2018.

1. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

Hey buddy you look much younger without the beard. lol

FREEPOP likes this.
  2. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

N
    Never heard of a assessor snooping around or looking in windows. Does not seem like a wise thing to do, at least in Skidway lake.

3. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

Assessors should only work for a certain term in any area, like 3 years. and should be a elected position. Too many wink wink tax bills for elected officials. It happens, and did in Ogemaw a few years ago. Building inspectors, building without permits also.

4. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

Yeah, that's my doppleganger Bruce Willis

5. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

My 3 properties in Kent went up 2% .Have not received anything on 3 UP properties yet .

6. bigmac

bigmac

My U.P camp went up, I haven't received anything yet about my place in Oscoda

7. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

Oops had to look again thought it was you. lol

FREEPOP likes this.
  8. bobberbill

bobberbill

Mine took a pretty good jump. Prob because we put in a new 5" well last spring..

9. imjon

imjon Banned

Lake property in Brighton. New construction going on all over, we never get a break.

bobberbill likes this.
  10. HUBBHUNTER

HUBBHUNTER

Does it happen very often where the taxable value increased but the assessed value decreases? If one goes up it makes sense that both would go up to me. Both of mine went up so no issue with my property but someone I know who owns several properties had this happen to their home, ag land and cottage.

11. mattawanhunter

mattawanhunter

Assessment went down on my primary residence when selling prices are at an all-time high! Confusing not complaining but if I decide to sell most look at doubling of the SEV to get close to fair market value so hurt you, and doesn't does with the housing shortage after the Great Recession!

12. mattawanhunter

mattawanhunter

In contrast my UP property went up in value after purchasing at and owning it for only 3 months!

13. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

Thanks to the Hedley Amendment it happens all the time. Mostly when a housing bubble bursts or there is another downturn in the economy. Taxable Value has to follow the law and SEV is supposed to follow the market.

HUBBHUNTER likes this.
  14. hunterrep

hunterrep

Tax assessment is the most subjective thing in government. I learned this after buying my last piece of property. Talked to 3 different tax assessors, got the same basic definition of the rules but completely different application of the rules. Way too much power given to these people without any guidance, guidelines, oversight or repercussions of their actions. What's worse is their word is gospel and fighting their assessments are mostly a waste of time.

Far Beyond Driven and Wild Thing like this.
  15. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

My three 40's in Dickinson County which are classified "Residential" or "Homestead" have gone up every year since the first year they were purchased without fail. The 40 we enrolled in the Qualified Forest Program has remained the same 2 out of 3 years.

Appealing to the Board of Review has proved to be a complete waste of time. 99.9% of appeals are denied and appealing beyond the Township level can be expensive, complicated, and fruitless as well. I have appealed twice and been denied twice. The last time I requested copies of all successful appeals for the past 5 years. The only successful appeals were those few that could come up with real estate appraisals which were lower and a few cases where 100% Disabled Veterans were granted exemptions per state law.