Not so mixed this week

Discussion in 'North West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by ausable_steelhead, Nov 25, 2017.

1. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

Fishing slowed overall from a week ago, but a few more nice steelhead were had. One of the more stranger fall runs for me, but oh well I guess. Still a few coho and browns around, but they’ve slowed. Lake trout are gone. Rivers have come down some, and temps have stabilized. Small bags and waxies were best, though hardware is still getting a fish or two at times. Be heading east for winter steel within the coming weeks depending on the weather.

2. fishgitter

fishgitter

Man those are beautiful fish!!! I use to fish them a lot but don't have a partner any more and can't stand the cold like i did before. keep up the good work, I AM truly jealous Congratulations on your catch!!!

3. PunyTrout

PunyTrout Staff Member Mods

The top picture is as 'dime' as they get.

4. hard head

hard head

5. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

Definitely pretty shiny. There has been a lot of fish with some color to them, even back in September and October. Not dark of course, but blushed for sure. The strays from WI or wherever, were often full on colored.

6. jpmarko

jpmarko

Nice fish, man.

7. MapleRiverSalmon

MapleRiverSalmon

IMG_0517.JPG IMG_0538.JPG Nothing over here Jon... just better stay north west my friend!

Munuscool likes this.
  8. dirtyfisheyes187

dirtyfisheyes187

Aren’t they so **** fun on the pin? Changed my whole outlook when I got one

9. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

I think some of you guys get way too into what you're using. The fight on a pin is simply controlled by your hand. It's not like having a drag burned is suddenly boring or a terrible thing.

I outfished a buddy of mine last weekend, with my spinning rod, on a river i had never been on. All he does is pin, and he's quite good. I've shared a boat with multiple CP guys, some on this site, and have always at a minimum, kept up with them. Maybe some day I'll get outfished by a pinner, but it simply hasn't happened yet.

I think a ton of guys do it because it makes them feel cool, and modern. I'll continue to take the insults and thumbed noses with my child setup of a 13' rod and spinning reel. By the way, I can't be seen fishing with you Wayne, if you have that dragless flyreel on you, lmao! Nice lake Huron chrome my friend.

mdj and jmaddog8807 like this.
  10. jmaddog8807

jmaddog8807

I'm with ya Jon, I have pinned many times, but just cant set my spinning reel down. I prefer it much more. Plus, I can just switch between float fishing and bottom bouncing without having to bring along two rods.

11. wyandot

wyandot

I don't look cool, and I'm well aware of it. Most days I could produce more fish bottom bouncing with a spinning rod, but I don't care, I enjoy fishing my centerpins more, and that's what matters to me.

Dagen and jmaddog8807 like this.
  12. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

My point exactly; Fish on bro. Get it however ya wanna get it!

jmaddog8807 and wyandot like this.
  13. MapleRiverSalmon

MapleRiverSalmon

We'll I do look cool doing it! Just look at that hair man! Lmao! Running down the bank with a fish on and the line wrapped around my fingers! Wtf! Stupid things! I will say this Jon! I went 10/21 last saterday and that would have to be my worst ratio ever! The big reason I'm running one is to show my buddy tyler they are not as hard to run as he makes them out to seem, and two... I kind of suck at bobber fishing with a spin setup. I'm a lot tighter to the float with a pin!

See ya on the flip side brother!

14. HuronBrowns

HuronBrowns

15. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

No one made you read it. The discussion wasn’t completely serious.

Troutguy12, mfs686 and wyandot like this.