Not a bad morning

Discussion in 'North West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by ausable_steelhead, Aug 26, 2017.

1. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

Had a hunch this morning, and bypassed normal, choosing to instead head to another spot for a change. It's been slow there, but things can change each week, so I hit it. Bobbers and skein was best, though I did take one king on a bag. I finished 3-5 on salmon, and 1 skam holdover. Kings were colored, and mostly males.

Things started fast, with three hookups on my first five drifts. After that, it was just picking away at them. It's early here, and there are not too many around yet. Obviously I didn't hit any numbers, but all things considered, I felt it was a solid morning.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    Duck-Hunter, slabstar, gino and 8 others like this.
  2. MapleRiverSalmon

MapleRiverSalmon

Nice fish Jon! Fish seem to be getting dark quickly! I need to get my but east and start probing around!

slowpaya likes this.

3. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

The first biters always are here. There are and will be, freshies to come. Those early fish should be colored by now in most places. They still fought well, and took off hard upon release.

slowpaya and MapleRiverSalmon like this.
  4. MapleRiverSalmon

MapleRiverSalmon

Nice! What are you running for a stick?

slowpaya likes this.
  5. jmaddog8807

jmaddog8807

Do you guys change your bobber set up at all when using Skein? I felt like my skein wasn't getting down fast enough in some runs. Add more weight closer to the bait? Does that effect it? Bags just continue to work better for me. Maybe it's just cuz I have more confidence with that. Who knows. All I know is the fish are big this year and kicked my ass all Saturday morning lol

6. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

I think right now, yes. Once they come in better, you can get them to go at any time during the day, for the most part. If I'm fishing seriously though, I'm there before it's light.

slowpaya likes this.
  7. 1302berkey

1302berkey

Good times! I can't wait to get back up on the river. Been coming up 20 years but just lately got a boat, I can't put up with the zoo anymore!

jmaddog8807 and slowpaya like this.
  8. brian0013

brian0013