Northwoods Whitetails Seed Alternatives

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by November Dreaming, May 5, 2020.

1. northwoods whitetails

northwoods whitetails

Wow

so this is how a long time site sponsor gets treated????
    I don’t ask a single one of you to use our products. But many of you lurking in the shadows do , and we thank you. But to drive business away from us ( this is now my full time job) for no reason is shocking.

2. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

If the above reference is aimed at me, I not trying to drive away any business from you. The member from Remus asked if you had a dealer in Mt. Pleasant and you replied "no". I then supplied names of food plot suppliers in his area. Maybe one of the names I supplied distributes your brand, I have no idea.

L & O

jr28schalm likes this.

3. gunfun13

gunfun13

Canton/Lake Bellaire/Jackson Co Property Owner
    Long time customer here John. But you're upset over offering alternatives in a thread seeking alternatives because of shipping costs? I didn't realize sponsor entitlement was a thing on these forums.

4. northwoods whitetails

northwoods whitetails

I guess I should have been more specific to the post about NE Wisconsin...
    Sponsorship entities nothing at all.

5. gunfun13

gunfun13

Canton/Lake Bellaire/Jackson Co Property Owner
    Notice it was a first time poster

6. Hunters Edge

Hunters Edge

Many elevators and co-ops are a full time business and or full time employees employed. Many mixing seeds on the side are working to have it become a full time job or business like yourself. All I see from reading the posts are not telling them they have to go buy seed there but to offer suggestions to finding a seed mix or places to find seed and mix it themselves.

Site sponsor is for your benefit to advertise or a means for marketing. I wish you and your business well. Instead of looking at it negatively I would look at what you can do to increase your market. If shipping and site distribution seems to be a concern by many posts it may be worth looking into fixing rather then condemn one posts or freedom to choose product and business.

Deskjockey1 and Plant175 like this.
  7. TommyV

TommyV Premium Member

And a Packer Fan no less! :bonk:

8. pgpn123

pgpn123

Many (most?) Yoopers are Packer backers.

Wild Thing likes this.
  9. Marty H

Marty H

I just picked up a bag[1 bushel] of rye from Harvey's in Carson City this week and I think it used to be around $12 a bag but it was $19 this year . I'd like to find a cheaper green fertilizer to plant in the spring. Any suggestions guys ?

10. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

If you buy from a store or elevator that will about the price you will pay. This will be clean seed. Can't help with rye or wheat this spring, but the farmer that I buy bin run wheat and rye from was about $7 a bushel last August. I think he had oats also. About 10 minutes north of Harveys.

L & O

11. fowlharvestor

fowlharvestor

I’m not a packer fan but I’m admittedly embarrassed to ever give them any crap.

signed, lions fan with paper bag over his head

12. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

Pretty sure John is probably a Packer fan as well...I know I am.

I am also still a Northwoods Whitetails customer and I do appreciate their sponsorship of this site for many years. I may have purchased something from the Cheesehead state at one time or another but that would have been for something that John didn't have. I don't even think John sells things like cereal grains, beans, etc. Those heavy items are certainly going to be cheaper if you can get them locally and I buy mine locally as well. But...if I need quality switchgrass seed or other mixes that I know perform well, I don't mind paying a little more to get them from a Michigan vendor even if I have to pay a little shipping.

You usually get what you pay for...and the best buy doesn't necessarily come from the cheapest price. The other thing that you get from someone like John Komp that many people maybe don't think about it the customer service. He has the answer to probably any question about this stuff that you are likely to ask him which you don't always get from an employee who maybe has never even planted a veggie garden.

5150, don, jr28schalm and 1 other person like this.
  13. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

Last year rye cost more then wheat for the first time I remember.

Wild Thing likes this.
  14. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

Wheat prices were considerably higher here last year.

These are prices from 2 of the coop/feed mills in my area last year:

Buckwheat 50#/59.00
    Winter Rye 50#/11.00
    Oats 64#/16.00
    Winter Wheat 50#/19.00

Oats 32#/9.00
    Winter Wheat 50#/17.00
    Rye 100#/18.00

jr28schalm likes this.
  15. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Does anyone stock/plant aroostook rye? I was able to get a couple of bags last year. I’m up in the air on letting it go to seed or till under. This high wind, low humidity, sunny spring should allow me to get on some of my plots much sooner than the past 4 years or so.

jr28schalm likes this.