Northern Michigan Deer Hunt

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by MILONEWOLF, May 6, 2018.

1. MILONEWOLF

MILONEWOLF

I am renting a cabin in the Hillman area. I know this is a dumb question but any suggestions: State land to the North-Pigeon River area or State land closer to Atlanta? Getting back into gun deer hunting and I have had too many hunters on state land in Southern Michigan. Have no problem going deep into the woods either. Unable to find any recent articles or forums on hunting North other than do not do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jr28schalm and mattawanhunter like this.
  2. YOTEANTIDOTE

YOTEANTIDOTE

The best thing you can do imo is get out and scout now. This time of year will reveal a lot of info on what happened last year.

Now what time of year are you going hunting?

Do you have a climber or are you mobile?

Give a little more info and we can give you a little more also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. MILONEWOLF

MILONEWOLF

I am tentatively set for 11/14-11/18. I do have ladder stand but sitting on the ground is fine for me too.

4. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Get out and start scouting. You are looking for deer near cattle operations. Knock on enough doors and you will have a farm to hunt. We went out for the January Special Hunt and did just that. We were able to get permission for that hunt along with an opening day spot just for the price of asking.

5. Bucman

Bucman

Get a map, a compass and go scout. :)
    Doubt anyone is going to give you a spot but maybe. Best bet is find your own and keep quiet if you don’t want company.

mattawanhunter likes this.
  6. JPWARD

JPWARD

I have hunted north of hillman quite a bit on state land. I took a decent 9 pt with a bow several yrs ago before rifle opener with no one around. Called him in with grunt call and doe bleat. Doe numbers are scarce on state land due to unrestricted tags. Not going to give specifics but you can find elevated islands in cedar swamps off aerial photos that have good sign and limited pressure. Have always wondered if deer would flock there with firearm pressure. Expecting a good acorn year there as the last 2 yrs have been failures.

7. mattawanhunter

mattawanhunter

Good for You,and Good Luck, I always wanted to hunt that area, I almost bought a cabin up that way. I hate hunting down here with all the noise and pressure, I've Never hunted northern MI just SW MI and the UP!

8. Lightfoot

Lightfoot

I'll be playing that same game a little North of you this year but wont be in state until late June, so I'm already behind in the learning curve. With any luck I can do some snooping around by the end of July.

Like you, I have no issues getting well away from easy access points. My biggest concern is finding some areas I like and end up crowding or being crowded by others. Setting up close to somebody else would suck for all involved. Archery only.

Best of luck to you.

9. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

In the last 10 years that side of the state has dropped in hunters.yes rifle you will see some people, but not bad

10. skipper34

skipper34

On state land in NE Michigan you will not see another camp during archery season, except ours.

old graybeard and JBooth like this.
  11. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Sounds like my kinda place.

U of M Fan and jr28schalm like this.
  12. JBooth

JBooth

I've scouted the area to the northwest extensively and can help you out once you cross the PI county line or if you want some local spots near hillman. Shoot me a PM. Skipper has been around the block up there too. You're options for bow season are unlimited. Again shoot me a PM if you want to chat.

jr28schalm likes this.
  13. the g1

the g1

I have hunted that area my whole life. If there are no other hunters around you are in the wrong spot. The big bucks are killed in the same areas year after year.

jr28schalm likes this.
  14. JBooth

JBooth

You're missing out. It feels as wild as the UP (minus the moose) but is more accessible. Starting to see more camps up there for gun season.

mattawanhunter and jr28schalm like this.
  15. mattawanhunter

mattawanhunter

Hey, I would like to buy a chunk of land up that way, any recommendations on an area for a base camp or as important places to stay away from?

Thanks