Northern Lights

Discussion in 'Sound Off (MichiganForums.com)' started by FishMichv2, May 6, 2018.

1. FishMichv2

FishMichv2

Any other Northern Lights enthusiasts here? Early this evening was pretty good. I'm not great at the dark photography but I'm learning. Should have taken a little drive to a more open area but I was lazy.
    Northern Lights.JPG

Gamechanger, REG, Daveman and 12 others like this.
  2. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

Northern lights are amazing. Don't know how many nights the wife and I sat on the porch on cold clear winter night watching.

At that time we were living about 60 miles north of Anchorage with very few City lights.

3. FishMichv2

FishMichv2

Good chance for Northern Lights to be visible in northern Michigan and maybe as far south as mid Michigan on Wednesday and Thursday nights as long as it isn't too cloudy. If you don't mind staying up late then find a dark place and keep your eyes on the northern horizon.

4. brushbuster

brushbuster

The best shows ever up there. I spent a lot time on guard duty in the service up at Donnelly's Dome mesmerized by the lights

capper likes this.
  5. WAUB-MUKWA

WAUB-MUKWA

I use Aurora pro app to see when they will be around.

6. bigmac

bigmac

Some of you might not want to set your expectations too high if you've never seen them....They are not as bright and vibrant to the naked human eye as you think.

7. FishMichv2

FishMichv2

This is true. Often they just appear as white flowing or gently moving auroras across the sky. You will sometimes see the green and purple hue. A good camera on the right settings is what really picks up all those vibrant colors. A really powerful storm will show brighter colors but the camera images will always show brighter colors.

jiggin is livin likes this.
  8. Nick Adams

Nick Adams

I spent a winter in Delta Junction, Alaska back in the mid 80's that involved a lot of night-time guard duty. After an experience like that, any Northern Lights you can see in the lower 48 are a little underwhelming.

-na

brushbuster likes this.
  9. brushbuster

brushbuster

Amen to that one. Nothing like the Alaska show.

10. capper

capper Premium Member

Back in the 70's, Donnelly flats is where we would open up the old Ford Bronco and blow out the pipes when we headed for Chitna to go Salmon dipping.
    There's no light pollution out there in the wilderness and man - the aurora can sure get your attention. I was privileged to be able to see them in the high arctic on many occasions while working north of the Brooks range. Some of the Eskimos I worked with would go out when the lights were really running wild and at 50 below zero, and they would whistle at them - they believed that whistling at them would make them come down lower to the ground.

11. brushbuster

brushbuster

One night I was walking back to my cabin in trappers creek Alaska, I was a little inebriated from the local watering hole. I looked up into the sky and saw three planet sized green balls. "WTF" as I shook my head and peered again at the green planets, they suddenly spiraled and broke up as they dance across the sky. All my water hole buddies told me I need to lay off whatever I was smoking.

12. WAUB-MUKWA

WAUB-MUKWA

I saw a lot too. One time it looked like a dog sled team racing across the sky for a few seconds. Luckily I had a couple buddies that saw the same thing.