North Woods Law and Lone Star Law TV shows

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by fsamie1, Aug 6, 2020.

1. fsamie1

fsamie1 Premium Member

I have been watching these shows pretty regularly. Today's show was interesting, COs were watching a group of duck hunter for late shooting, they got them for loaded gun after shooting hour in the boat, shooting 20 minute late, did not retrieve the duck, and no plug. These guys did everything wrong. I know they are TV shows but COs from Maine and Texas are super nice and friendly and lots of times just give warning and no ticket. This is unlike Michigan COs who are nasty and just looking for anything to write you up. Like I had federal stamp online but when I got it a month later, I forgot to sign it. Another time, I had a mallard black hybrid and he was going to count it against my black duck limit. I think we should send them to Maine and Texas or some training.

R.J.M., Sparky23 and Nostromo like this.
  2. BaldwinHunter

BaldwinHunter

sorry you had some bad run ins. I've never had anything but pleasant encounters with officers over here on the west side.

3. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

I like it how the fines are set so the poachers do not get let off with a slight tap on the wrist by a judge.

Dixiedog and JimP like this.
  4. bamba1jl

bamba1jl

The ones in Maine don't seem that friendly to me. I saw one episode where they took a guy back to where he shot a deer, had him stood where he thought he maybe shot the deer, then measured how close to the road he was and gave him a ticket. You also constantly see them going to places where they have the deer registration and going through them and investigating deer that "look suspicious". No thanks.

William H Bonney and Bucman like this.
  5. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

I ran into a pair of cocky young CO's years ago. gen X'ers who had no parenting I guess.:D But never had one be anything but professional.

Now in my time in Texas. I only once encountered a "game warden" anywhere but in a cafe. He was nice for a Texan and asked us if we were hunting?
    No sir!

6. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

How do you think they'd behave knowing they're on TV?

7. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

How ever the director tells them.

Forest Meister likes this.
  8. ahartz

ahartz

Just like anything else there are some bad apples. ALL of the Michigan CO's i have come into contact with have been professional. As a civil servant, not LEO, its often hard to NOT dish out what I am getting. Once in a while the lion bites back......

9. BumpRacerX

BumpRacerX

I've had a few contacts with CO's that could have wrote me. One could have wrote me for not wearing hunter's orange. I had a bright red vest on that I really liked. After he ran all my information he gave me the choice of either unloading the shotgun and finding some orange or taking the ticket. So I unloaded the shotgun, we walked together while shooting the breeze back to my truck where I grabbed some orange and then we parted ways.

He was cool as ****. I still have his phone number as a result.

Watched another one writing everyone on the river for life jackets. That guy just wanted to write tickets. Was hitting every canoe/kayak up and then going as far as making sure they were sized properly. We were in the race canoes that day and he even checked us, so at least he was consistent. Tried telling me that my life jacket wasn't in "good and serviceable" condition. Uh...that life jacket has been approved by the USCG aux to go Grayling to Oscoda multiple times. It's just fine. Same life jacket was on my fishing boat earlier this year when the Coast Guard inspected us in Tawas. They never said a word about it.

andyotto and Sparky23 like this.
  10. Tavor

Tavor

My experience with Michigan C.O.'s has always been good. Always professional, usually friendly. One guy was a little terse, but not mean spirited or "out to get me". Maybe just in a hurry. As a rule, I like seeing them out there and enjoy talking with them.

YAKFish#1 and andyotto like this.
  11. flyfish

flyfish

Had a Maine c.o check me on a lake bank in Acadia National Park, showed him my license, he noticed i was fly fishing. Told me how to get to a secluded stream, and was able to catch some beautiful coaster brook trout. Very pleasant officer.

12. John Singer

John Singer

In case you did not know, reality TV shows ain't real.

bombcast, Bucman, R.J.M. and 2 others like this.
  13. Sparky23

Sparky23

Good amd bad ones everywhere same things with about every aspect of life. Had some great run ins and covos with some and have lost all respect for some.

14. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Try pimping them for info. Think about it, they see everything.

One gave me a hot spot that was getting shot late and told me to watch it for him. Win win. I got a new place to hunt and he got to get a phone call on late shooting without having to be there. I'd let him know when I hunted it and then if anyone showed up so he could be on standby.

15. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Sparky, you ever have fun with our former Allegan county CO who is up north now? It was so bad for a while I would not hunt alone as I was afraid of running into him without a witness to back me up. "I just write tickets and let the judge sort them out".

After I posted on ATO's website about a particularly unpleasant encounter with him, next time we met he told me that CO's read websites too and he didn't appreciate what I did. I asked him if anything I posted wasn't 100% true. No answer. Ten seconds later my MC numbers on my boat are getting measured for correct spacing. Again.

Take'm and fsamie1 like this.