Noob question

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by Shawn Somerville, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Shawn Somerville

Shawn Somerville

2. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Welcome to the site! I haven’t pinned for terribly long - just approaching 5 years now, but it’s what I do 95% of the time now. Fish it 10 months of the year here for kings and steelhead. This February will be my 4th trip to the Olympic peninsula for wild steelhead for a week in February.

The smoothness in presentation combined with no bail flipping and instant lockdown on a hookset to me are what provides for more hookups. Then the one to one ratio and no drag makes the fight that much more fun!

Solid advise here so far. My personal set up I am now running here for kings and out your way is the 12’ 10-17lb lami closer with 5” Milner. I run 10lb lead for our summer run steel here, and 16 lb lead for kings here and steel out your way.

I personally have the following input based on what I have learned. I would skip over the helix and go to the matrix xl if you are looking for a starter. Upgrade the bearings with some boca and it’s good to go. The larger diameter is a necessity for hot steel out your way for picking up line when the fish charges you. Skip the backplate porting and go with a solid plate. Motored past bob ison (local guide) during king season couple years back - his kid was nearly in tears - got his finger into the frame with a hot king on the other end thrashing with his finger in between the frame and spool running 15+ lb leader. Didn’t look like a fun time.

As for the rod - I have felt the redline centerspin but not personally fished it. It does seem like it would fit the bill at a cheaper price than the closer series. If fishing from a boat, particularly a drift boat, 13’ is a lot of rod. 12’ gives me my preference of ability to mend almost as well as a 13’, but easier to position myself to net a fish in a drift boat.

I did used to own and fished the rainshadow xst1324s. They fished and handled fish fine, but once I built and fished my lamis I had no need for 2 other “heavy fish” rods.

FYI - rods and reels can be ordered thru fishusa.com today at 20% off with promo code greenmonday. They stock raven as well as lami.

Any questions - fire away! Again - welcome to both the site and the world of centerpin!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018

3. The Ghettoblaster

The Ghettoblaster

I got the Helix as my first pin reel and I've loved it. Great starter reel for the price and Raven makes good stuff. Haven't upgraded the bearings yet but plan on it soon.
    www.fishusa.com has some good prices on pin reels and float rods. That's where I got mine and have been getting more and more of my fishing gear from there. They ship pretty fast too.

Good luck!

4. zerolimit

zerolimit

I've found that the larger/wider the river, the longer the rod. It'll allow for longer drifts and better control of keeping line off the water. When I got into pinning a few years ago, I debated getting a "factory" mass-produced reel (Matrix), but then decided against it. For a bit more dough, I could get a custom/small batch built reel. Considering the exchange rate, I decided to purchase from a Canadian builder. Made it about $125 more for the reel than a domestically purchased Matrix. I went with a wildwater: http://www.riversedgereels.ca/home Mike takes great pride in his product, and I couldn't be happier. I feel confident that if i wanted to sell it, I'd have little problem. like other's have said, the larger the diameter reel, especially for a longer rod, Get the larger spool size. You'd not think a 1/2 inch would make a difference, but when you're roping in 70 feet of line, it comes in a lot quicker with the larger spool.

5. Carpmaster

Carpmaster

Not to deter you, I actually prefer a spiral wrapped casting rod with a nice quality low profile baitcaster on larger rivers here like the Muskegon, Grand and the Manistee. I love my pins on all the smaller waters I frequent. I would definitely consider the water size!

6. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

I too like my spiral wrapped BC, especially in cold weather. There are some advantages to using one, but the fight with a feisty Steelhead on a Center Pin is the best you can ask for. It may take a few lessons to keep from getting busted knuckles, or losing a fish because you applied to much brake pressure, but it is all you when you have a fish on.

7. Shawn Somerville

Shawn Somerville

Thanx for the input everyone....i picked up the Okuma Raw ii today since i received some Cabelas gift cards over the holidays, will be upgrading to Boca bearings as well. Looking at picking up the 12' lamiglas redline center spin rod since I'll be fishing for chinook as well. Probably wont take it out to the Trask river, near Tillamook Oregon, in the fall though since those fish can get up into the #30-40 range

Carpmaster likes this.
  8. Shawn Somerville

Shawn Somerville

Really looking forward to getting my set up all together.

9. Shawn Somerville

Shawn Somerville

Santa brought a Okuma raw ii. Looking at the 12' lamiglas redline.

10. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Have fun and enjoy your new Christmas present.

11. tuckersdad

tuckersdad

I too have a Raw II and love it...upgraded to the boca bearings and have had zero issues...sure you can spend more, and they are very nice, but this reel has been flawless and has over 100 fish under its belt...enjoy

12. Shawn Somerville

Shawn Somerville

Thx for the heads up