Noob question

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by Shawn Somerville, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Shawn Somerville

Shawn Somerville

Hello everyone....first off just wanna say Thanx to the site for having me here. Okay so ive been on the fence on getting a pin set up for the last few years. I live in Oregon and the gear is hard to find to actually put in my hands. I have been bobber fishing for salmon and steelhead for years now and i really can see the benefit of it. I have yet to see anyone out on the river fish this technique. I know they do up in BC but it hasnt hit the west coast yet.This year for xmas Santa is going to bring one My question is what is a good length of rod to start with? Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

slowpaya likes this.
  2. Shawn Somerville

Shawn Somerville

A new centerpin rod and reel.

slowpaya likes this.

3. PunyTrout

PunyTrout Staff Member Mods

slowpaya likes this.
  4. Shawn Somerville

Shawn Somerville

I have been fishing for salmon and steelhead for over 25 years. I fish from the bank and from my boat as well. Mainly fish the Columbia river trolling herring in the spring and running wobblers and wrapped quikfish in the fall. During the summer and winters i chase steelhead on the coastal and inland rivers as well. Throw spinners, drift corkies and yarn, but more times than not im float fishing either with jigs or beads. Currently i fish a 10'6" Lamiglas as my float rod. Im thinking of starting up using a centerpin and wanting to know what length of rod is good to learn on. Im looking at the 12' Lamiglas Redline since their facility isnt located too far from me which makes for easy warranty issues and im supporting the local economy to boot.

slowpaya likes this.
  5. PunyTrout

slowpaya likes this.
  6. Shawn Somerville

Shawn Somerville

Wow...great read!!! Im looking forward to getting a set up and trying this technique. Seriously though...i have never seen anyone fish this way in person before and wondering if there is a drastic difference in presentation to the fish. Most of the shops here maybe carry one rod but dont carry reels for them.

slowpaya likes this.
  7. Bob Hunter

Bob Hunter

I’d go with a 13’ rod.

Clum and slowpaya like this.
  8. PunyTrout

Centerpin reels can be pretty pricey. Maybe some other members can chime in to give you some informed options.

Here is a Canadian website that stocks some different models to give you a few ideas.

http://www.centerpinangling.com/centerpinreels.html

slowpaya likes this.
  9. Shawn Somerville

Shawn Somerville

I was looking at the Raven Helix and doing a bearing upgrade. Any other suggestions on a starter reel?

slowpaya likes this.
  10. PunyTrout

Not from myself personally. Centerpin isn't really my thing. I was just trying to be helpful. Hopefully someone else can chime in to give you the answers you need.

slowpaya likes this.
  11. wyandot

wyandot

Welcome to the site Shawn. Honestly, it's the same presentation, it's just easier for most guys to get a good drift with a float reel than a spinning reel. I like 13' rods on my local fishery, but I strictly bank fish with it and there isn't a lot of cover to contend with. If I fished out of a boat, or fished smaller, brushy streams I'd own something shorter. I don't know anything about the Helix reel, but the Matrix and Matrix S.E. reels are really tough to beat for the price.
    Just a thought, but have you checked out the CenterpinTalk forum? It's a site dedicated specifically to float fishing, and there's quite a few members from the PNW that could probably give you better advise than any of us.

slowpaya and flyrodder46 like this.
  12. Bob Hunter

Bob Hunter

I’d personally go with a 5” reel or large, the larger spool helps with gaining more fish on the retrieve, and gaining line when fighting a fish, especially if it’s running right at you. The Raven Matrix xl is a decent reel at a good price, either the fully ported model, or the Special Edition which has a solid backplate.

zerolimit and slowpaya like this.
  13. Bob Hunter

Bob Hunter

For a rod, contact Dave Novelli at Nova Rod Company on Facebook, he has fished in the PNW and could suggest one of his rods for you, they are very reasonably priced to.

slowpaya likes this.
  14. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Welcome to the M-S site, and a great way of fishing.

Dave would be a good contact on a rod, I think he builds mainly on Batson blanks, and they are a great blank. In the Great Lakes area we generally use 12-13' rods in the 4-8 or 6-10# range for Steelhead, however from what I have heard/seen most of the PNW fishers prefer something a little heavier.
    You didn't say what your budget is, but if you are looking for a reel that will last a lifetime of fishing take the time to check for a used Milner Kingfisher. Used ones can be found for a reasonable cost, and if you decide not to venture further in to CP they are easy to sell.
    The Raven Matrix XL and SE are both good reels, and work very well without any bearing changes.

slowpaya likes this.
  15. eggfly

eggfly

Welcome to the site.

I have a Raven Matrix XL and as others have said it’s hard to beat for the price. A buddy of mine has the Helix and likes it. His only complaint is the small diameter, he’s a big guy with big hands.

I generally use a 13’ rod but will occasionally use my 11-1-2’ rod. My favorite thing is to take a hero drift and catch a fish right in front of my buddy. The 13’ let’s me keep more line out of the water adding more control over my presentation.

Let us know what Santa brings you.

zerolimit and slowpaya like this.