Non- resident pistol hunting

Discussion in 'Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing Law' started by Duckiller, Oct 16, 2016.

  1. Duckiller


    Likes Received:
    So. Cal.
    Next year (2017) my #2 son and I will probably go to Michigan o go deer hunting with my brother who lives near Mesik. Son has a longer barreled Raging Bull with a scope that he would like to use as his hunting weapon. Question is what are Michigan rules for non-residents using a pistol while hunting deer. We will probably be hunting private and public property in Benzie and Wexford counties. We will probably bring long guns but my son REALLY wants to shoot game with his pistol. Wat are the rules or who do I ask?
  2. Petronius

    Petronius Premium Member

    Likes Received:
    Non residents must have either a concealed pistol license (CPL) from their home state, even if the pistol is not carried concealed., or a license to purchase. A CPL is sometimes called a concealed carry weapons permit (CCW) in some states.

    From page 21 of the 2016 Michigan Hunting and Trapping Guide.

    Handgun Regulations - Statewide The rules listed below may not apply to those having a concealed pistol license (CPL) or specifically exempt by law from a CPL and carrying their handgun in accordance with their license or exemption.
    • A person must be at least 18 years of age to hunt with or possess a handgun.
    • Handguns cannot be borrowed or loaned to another person other than provided for under the CPL.
    • While in the field, handguns must be carried in plain view.
    • Carrying a handgun in a holster in plain view is permitted.
    • You may transport your registered handguns while en route to and from your hunting or target shooting area; however, handguns, including BB guns larger than .177 caliber and all pellet guns, must be unloaded, in the barrel and magazines, and in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms and cannot be readily accessible to any occupant of the vehicle.
    • It is a crime for certain felons to possess ammunition and firearms, including rifles and shotguns, in Michigan.
    Nonresidents must have a CPL or a license to purchase, carry or transport issued by their home state in their possession in order to legally carry or transport a handgun in Michigan. For more information regarding statewide handgun regulations, obtaining a CPL, or concealed weapons and firearms laws, contact your local police department.