Nodak 2019

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by bfaber, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Sugar_Shack_577

Sugar_Shack_577

Worth the effort, driving or walking for a Tito’s ice tea at Tito’s tavern! You guys be careful out there. I hope it clears up in a couple weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. TNL

TNL

Was wondering about JD. I think his crew spends a couple weeks out there. Most of the paved roads in that area were still closed as of this am. I imagine the road to Bernsten's place would be low on the priority list. I wouldn't worry about the ducks and geese so much, they've been through it before. The pheasants, however, will be a different story all-together.

3. bheary

bheary

North Dakota needs to spread their snow clearing genius to MI and WI. Roads are amazing! Did see quite a few places where semis drove off between Fargo and the Twin Cities.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

Yes, backside of the storm center, which I would put at Rugby, saw a lot less snow than forecast. Stanley has about four inches. Yesterday was the pheasant opener...frozen birds in the cattails.

5. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

They work on pavement only, once you leave it, you are on your own. Dips in the road, from past experience, can be ten feet deep via drifts, WATCH the adjacent terrain contours as you drive, or you will be making a long cold hike to a nearby ranch for a tractor tow.

6. bfaber

bfaber

Snows gone down considerably. Were getting around almost like normal still a fee big drifts in spots you cant get through. Still plenty of open water but its a ******* mess getting to it. Mostly divers so far and theres quite a few snows starting to show up.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

Shiawassee_Kid likes this.
  7. TNL

TNL

Buddy there yesterday saw loads of waterfowl in open potholes in the middle of the state. Unfortunately, he got stuck for 3 hours. That kinda takes a bite out of your duck hunting day.

Far Beyond Driven likes this.
  8. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

Beware the deep valley on a gravel road between two hills! By the third attempt my tires were complete "gumbo tubes", with a bunch of hands-on traction we made the top.

9. DEDGOOSE

DEDGOOSE

Bentonite or something like that? You get out truck to piss after a rain you'll fall on your butt. Gotta hold on truck door, ain't no Zamboni make ice as slick as that crap

"How fast are we going?"

Says 70

"Well there's turtles passing us step on it"

Got it to the floor, RPM is in the red

45 dollars and 2 hrs later may get wheel wells clean at carwash

Only other thing I've seen as bad okie red clay

Cork Dust, Shiawassee_Kid and TNL like this.
  10. bheary

bheary

Woodworth to pettibone and east to Carrington is absolutely dead. All the birds left and the field are unharvestable. I would seriously consider not coming, I considered driving back home today with 4 more days to hunt. If you are coming in the next 2 weeks pray for a cold front to come thru because the roads are drifted in and when they thaw they are garbage.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

11. bfaber

bfaber

Most of the snow around were we are at is gone. Roads are improving but still a Few sticky spots. Birds are few and far between and when you do find them they are all together and in spots we cant get to them. I know we are leaving Friday morning witch is a day early for us. We are struggling to find anything huntable with 3 trucks on the road scouting.

12. Wolverine423

Wolverine423

Daaaaaum that’s to bad guys! I was out there just before the storm hit. Little sloppy getn around, but nothing like you all had to deal with. I’m headed back out early November. Fingers crossed lol

13. wavie

wavie

There are still lots of birds north of the border. Weird thing is the snows just showed up in the area I hunt which is much later than usual. Temps are warm for this time of year and combining is almost done. It'll be dad's 50th year going to the prairies during the fall.

Forest Meister likes this.
  14. bfaber

bfaber

I do agree about the snows they are building every day. I feal we got stuck between the locals pushing out and the northern birds hunkering down from the storm. Birds we did kill didnt have them bright orange feet. I do see a lot of juvies in the flocks of snows.

goose schatt likes this.
  15. Shiawassee_Kid

Shiawassee_Kid

i got a completely opposite report today.