No till/ no chemical food plot preparation ideas?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by jmich24, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Hunters Edge

Hunters Edge

Personally if you are not wanting to use chemicals or tilling/discing methods, you may want to consider controlled burns. Also you should incorporate not only plants that suppress's weeds and grasses but reduce the acidity of the soil (lime). Then repeat the cycle for a few years to illiminate or reduce weeds. Just be extremely careful with controlled burns. Personally think the summer fowling (discing/tilling) is much safer and more productive. I have seen the evidence of controlled burns getting out of control along M33.

2. Osceola

Osceola

Sorry, this sentence gave me a chuckle. By definition, it's impossible for a controlled burn to get out of control.

old graybeard, tratt, up520 and 3 others like this.

3. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

Been there done that. Just tell the wife once round up is dry it harmless. You might spray twice a year and be good and just wear protective clothes and shower after. Any hippie is putting worse in there lungs then a few hours spraying a year can hurt

4. CDN1

CDN1

I'm not a fan of burning but just because of my own inexperience and my plots are on permission. I just spray and use my 4 wheeler and hand tools to create and maintain my small plots. If I owned the property I'd be more open to burning after getting some help from others with experience burning.

jmich24 likes this.
  5. Hunters Edge

Hunters Edge

Don't be sorry I believe it's called an oxymoron. A controlled burn can be uncontrolled inadvertently or without intent. Just ask DNR or who they hired for jack pine burns for kirtland warbler? A good gust of wind and dry material for sparks maybe the culprit or just unattended or not paying attention. In any case it just needs the right conditions to exist. Dry leaves and needles do not take much especially adding in a little wind. Similar to blowing on sparks to make a fire with flint.

Individuals wanting to go green has not realized the polution it takes to produce plastic and to discard it and how long it takes to decompose even though it's sight unseen in a landfill. Herbicide or tilling/discing maybe less disruptive to nature even better than burning because of releasing of carbons. I myself refrain from burning because of how easy it can become out if control. That being said I was offering alternatives to conventional methods.

6. stickman1978

stickman1978

I use soil solarization for one of my food plots. It is small and right on the edge of a bedding area. I don't like to take equipment in there. I have tried clear and black plastic but the UV rays break it down to fast. I have found that a vinyl tarp works the best. I walk in with a rake and seed. Fold back the tarp, scratch the surface and broadcast the seed. Done. This location produces deer every year.

This will be the 4th year for this tarp/location. Looks like it could go a couple more years.

jr28schalm, jmich24 and Waif like this.
  7. brewster

brewster Premium Member

Have you found that it kills or at least dramatically suppresses reed canary grass?

I've been a little bit successful where I've used an old pool solar cover. I wasn't planning to plant there, just wanted some head start, so the spray may actually be able to do it's job.

jmich24 likes this.
  8. up520

up520

I simply mowed the field so I could see and shoot better. I did end up hunting it that fall and had deer browsing in it every time. That's the ultimate poor man's plot

Osceola

I do the same in one of my hard to reach areas. It is small and I can get it done with a push mower w/o burning too many calories.

I read somewhere (probably here in the MS habitat PHD program) that younger growth after a mow is more palatable to animals.

But you have to admit getting the cool stuff like WT has and driving equipment is just purely enjoyable and educational.

9. stickman1978

stickman1978

I have not used it on Reed Canary Grass. I don't see why it wouldn't work. At least knock it back enough to get other things established.

jmich24, jr28schalm and brewster like this.
  10. ridgewalker

ridgewalker

Planting buckwheat has worked well for us for weed reduction and building up the soil.

old graybeard, jr28schalm and jmich24 like this.
  11. Tree Toad

Tree Toad

1st year=worst year. Depending on the source, weed seed can remain viable in the ground for 30-100 years. Saw a small chunk of woods converted to a blueberry farm. Cleared the trees and stumps and brush. Sprayed with RoundUp (?) but then disked it every 10/14 days for the rest of the summer to disrupt the new seeds sprouting. The following year the field was perfect.

12. StevenJ

StevenJ Inscrutable Mastermind Premium Member

I'm not sure why the OP needs to be catered to. Being lazy is the first mistake, being anti-glyphosate is the second and being hippy/lazy is the third strike.

There is nothing wrong with spraying 1/4 acre with Round-Up.

It kills the grasses dead and is easy, it doesn't persist and doesn't hurt anything except live growing plants. Don't buy into the non chemical hype.

You don't need to a purist. It's nonsensical.

And while you are at it, start some marijuana plants in late May next year.

13. jmich24

jmich24

First, You seem like a good time.

Second, You called me lazy twice.

Third, I prefer the term Cannabis and hope to get my LEGAL 12 plants to grow in my food plot next summer.

Thanks for your valuable contribution to this thread.

Peace and Love brother

old graybeard, StevenJ and jr28schalm like this.
  14. StevenJ

StevenJ Inscrutable Mastermind Premium Member

Peace.

I can assure you that I am a good time.

You are mentally lazy. You asked in your OP: "Is this a waste of time and energy?" It is. Glyphosate is so much more efficient than what you are asking about and it is not a fraction of a worry on 1/4 acre as you might think it is. And have you ever heard of the expression: "A drop in the ocean"? It means an insignificant amount when taken in context.

Grassy areas are best prepped in the spring and planted in the fall. The problem is that grasses will just come back with solarization, from roots, rhizomes and seeds the next spring. (Especially reed canary grass.) And in new plots, Spring weed and grasses competition is pretty fierce.

And
    So, what you are saying is that by legal, you mean a completely locked enclosure, including over the top, right? If you use glyphosate to prepare a food plot, you can use the saved energy and time to build those locked enclosures for your 12 plants.

My contribution to this thread is valuable. You just don't recognize it yet. You will after a few years of planting food plots.

Good Luck.

15. Bucman

Bucman

I want in before the lock!!!!