No more etec

Discussion in 'Saginaw Bay and its Tributaries' started by storman, May 27, 2020.

1. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

Yes, if your putting the motor on a drag boat or tunnel boat, I would vote for a 2 stroke. But riding in 2-4 ft chop, a small measure of better throttle response is negligible.

2. choover852

choover852

I ordered a 225 on March 28 right as the covid shut down was really ramping up. At the time I didn't think I would be waiting for two months for the factory to open back up, and now they are shutting down for good. The selling points for me were the digital steering and shifting, as well as it could winterize itself. Another thought was that the two stroke has less moving parts (valves, etc.) which would mean less maintenance down the road. Now I'm just hoping I can get my deposit back!

3. Walley Gordo

Walley Gordo

Mercury Optimax

Tritonbasser and wyandot like this.
  4. kick n back

kick n back

That's what makes America great. You get to make your own choice and opinions are like @$$holes. IA heavy glass boat performs better on top of waves and my etec gets my boat on plane easy.

Shiawassee_Kid likes this.
  5. kick n back

kick n back

Easy winterizing and a 10-year warranty was a big reason why I bought an E-Tec. There isn't and hasn't been a 4-stroke on the market that offered a 10 year warranty. Sad to see any business close and America people lose jobs

Howard Baumann and skidoojc like this.
  6. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

I agree, everyone has their own choice and it's an individuals decision. But why do the vast majority of boat owners, especially fishers, go with 4 strokes??
    We go to Marco Island in winter, near our condo is a 400+ dry boat storage. We walk there every morning to watch the Tarpon. I'll bet you at least 95% of the motors are Yamaha the rest Mercury, can't remember seeing 1 Evinrude. They are easy to spot with their unique engine cowl. 2 years ago we went to Miami Beach, happened that the international boat show was going on. It's unbelievable, A 50 footer is a dingy. Lots of off shore racers, you know the skinny long boats. Seen one boat that had 5, 350 hp. Mercury's . The transom had to be 12 ft. to mount those 5 engines. Too many 4, engine rigs to talk about. Never seen an Evinrude. Their distribution network must be small.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  7. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

Quiet, no fumes, won’t load the plugs, no mixing....

8. skipper34

skipper34

Glad I bought my new boat 3 weeks ago with an Evinrude. Wouldn't have anything else, whether they are still in business or not. 10 year warranty will outlast me.

9. storman

storman

I have both a 200 etec g2 on our tritoon it rins perfect and is fast as hell, i have 200 verado on my lund tyee. The verado is quiet smooth and perfect for the tyee. The g2 is much more responsive at any RPM but is louder and can still smell the 2 stroke oil when putting along but it was the right choice for water sports with the family and the 10 year warranty is a plus. 5 years on the verado.

The new 200 mercs are getting rave reviews as is the 150, i would not turn my nose up at a yamaha or a suzuki either. Sucks to see a brand die competition helps everyone and people are gonna loose their jobs.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

10. choover852

choover852

I'm thinking of going with the Merc Pro XS 225 instead of the Evinrude now. Anyone have one of the Mercury's that can provide some feedback?

11. waldowillie

waldowillie

Brunswick/Mercury buys out Crestliner from Genmar over a decade ago and the quality went way way down on Crestliners. Now they buy out BRP/Evinrude and Brunswick/Mercury always put profits over quality. Get your BRP/Evinrude E-TEC immediately if you want a QUALITY engine.

12. skipper34

skipper34

Glad I did.

13. THF

THF

I love mine... best motor I ever had. Quiet, sips the gas and oil, runs like a wild cat with it's ass on fire. 6.5 years left on warranty. Great engines. Sorry to see them go!!

Fishfighter likes this.
  14. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

For your and a lot of other peoples sakes I hope they really do honor that warranty. Too easy to spin off the division, then take it under. Legal cornholing.

GATORGETTER likes this.
  15. skipper34

skipper34

Not too worried. If I take care of it properly it will run forever like all of the other Evinrudes I have owned for the last 55 years.