No Disease Control Permits for U.P. This Year

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Wild Thing, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

I can't tell you how happy I was the get this reply from the DNR today regarding Disease Control Permits for the Core CWD Surveillance zone in the U.P. They do not plan on issuing any DCP's here this year due to the increased antlerless permit quotas and permits which will be available....and just maybe because we complained about them last year.

For those who may be unaware. The DNR did issue DCP's to landowners who had at least 5 acres within a 2 mile radius of the suspected CWD positive deer. Much to our dismay, these permits were valid for any deer (bucks or does), they could be killed with any type of weapon (archery or firearms) and they were valid beginning November 1st - a full 2 weeks prior to the Nov 15 firearms opener.

"Thanks for contacting the Department for clarification on use of Disease Control Permits (DCP) this year. It was not a regulation discussed through the recent NRC process, but DCPs were developed previously through the NRC process.

Following the detection of the first CWD positive deer in October of 2018, DCPs were authorized to landowners within 2 miles of the index case to focus our sampling effort. We remain committed to disease surveillance, and through the NRC process increased antlerless quotas to provide additional means for hunter’s to submit CWD samples this hunting season. We are also in the process of developing a taxidermy cooperator program to ensure an adequate sample of bucks too.

At this time, we do not intend to issue Disease Control Permits (DCP) within the UP CWD Core Surveillance Area; however, as granted in the Wildlife Conservation Order Chapter V Section 5.77, the Department of Natural Resources retains the authority to issue DCPs. The permits will remain as an available tool to survey for disease, if needed.

If you have any additional questions or would like further details, please feel free to contact me.

Thank you again for reaching out to us for clarification.

Karen Sexton

Karen Sexton, Wildlife Biologist
    MI DNR – Escanaba Field Office
    6833 US-2, 41 & M-35
    Gladstone, MI 49837
    Phone 906-789-8205
    [email protected]

On Jul 16, 2019, at 11:26 AM, Carlson, Sarah (DNR) <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi, I received the email below regarding DCP questions and am hoping that you can respond as I do not know the answer to his question. I am issuing the DCP permits for the southern Michigan areas that are eligible, but I have not issued any for the UP and do not believe I am supposed to.
    Thanks!
    Sarah

Sarah Carlson
    Administrative Assistant FIS/WLD/PRD
    Michigan Department of Natural Resources
    Plainwell Customer Service Center
    621 N 10th St
    Plainwell, MI 49080
    Phone - 269-685-6853
    [email protected]

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 11:10 AM
    To: Carlson, Sarah (DNR) <[email protected]>
    Subject: Disease Control Permits

Hi Sarah - I understand that you are in charge of the DCP’s in the CWD core/surveilance zones. My property is located in Waucedah Twp of Dickinson County in the U.P. and last year we were given 5 DCP’s by the DNR. We were very disappointed to see that these permits were not only valid for killing bucks, but that they were valid for use prior to the Nov 15th Firearms deer season.

We are aware of the recent rules and regs approved by the NRC recently but I do not believe that they addressed DCP’s.

Can you please let me know how this program will be implemented this year in the U.P.? Anything you may have which can be sent via email will be welcome.
    Thanking you in advance."

2. Tilden Hunter

Tilden Hunter

Glad to hear it.

Wild Thing likes this.

3. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Unfortunately there were none last year until the first case of CWD was discovered. Let’s hope this was just an outlier or a scam by a local farmer.

Wild Thing likes this.