No Brain Matter ?

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by MichiganMan67, Oct 7, 2017.

1. MichiganMan67

MichiganMan67

With the change in the law this year regarding harvested animals from out of state coming into Michigan. Can someone outline for me, the process, if I shoot a deer in Montana and want a head mount done in Michigan.
    Thank you in advance for any info.

2. O'sdad

O'sdad

Unless you know exactly how to cape a head out, flesh/turn lips, eyes, ears, salt properly, then remove and clean off the skull cap, your best bet would be to take it to a taxidermist in that area and pay them the $$ to do it for you. No reputable taxidermist in Michigan would accept it into their shop unless it is properly(legally) handled. I don't know what a shop out-of-state would charge for that, but I would have charged $100-$125, depending on the size of the deer. Elk/moose would have been quite a bit more. I recently retired after several decades as a full-time taxidermist. Good luck!

3. Bucman

Bucman

Being a former taxi how do you feel about that law?

4. O'sdad

O'sdad

We need to do everything we can to control CWD, if that is at all possible, and it may well be too late. I had "sportsmen" haul deer/elk into my shop that were not compliant with the laws. They had a "Us against them" attitude toward the law and the DNR. I found it disgusting and turned their unethical asses in to the law. These laws are made to PROTECT our resources, not to harass sportsmen. Every single one of those twits could have potentially brought in a CWD infected animal that may have contaminated the herd. Those nasty prions last years in the soil. As far as the powers that be enforcing the law.....sock it to'em!

5. MichiganMan67

MichiganMan67

Just a quick follow up in case anyone else is in the same situation. I did go to Montana and shot a buck I wanted to mount. With no pro in the area to skin out the head I decided to try it myself. The butcher did a classic cape leaving the head on and intact. I watched about 3 or 4 U-tube videos and went at it with a small very sharp pocket knife.I took my time ( about 2 hrs). I then cut off the skull cap and cleaned it good. Brought it to my taxidermist yesterday and he looked it over close and then smiled and said "your hired" "you did an excellent job" "this is perfect".
    I don't say this to toot my own horn, just to let others know there is an option with the new law.

Jdhunttrapfish and Waif like this.
  6. O'sdad

O'sdad

Congratulations on the mountable buck MichiganMan67! I have taught a bunch of people how to pull the cape off a deer over the years, but 90% of the hunters still are too nervous to try it....It is not a difficult chore at all, and you did the main thing....TOOK YOUR TIME!!!! I've even had good trappers that have skinned a zillion furbearers act like they were afraid they'd ruin their cape doing it themselves, but anyone that has skinned so much as a chipmunk can cape out a deer well enough for legal importation back into Michigan. YouTube is a great place to have someone show you how folks, just do it.

ryan-b and Waif like this.