close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

No Brain Matter ?

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by MichiganMan67, Oct 7, 2017.

1. MichiganMan67

MichiganMan67

With the change in the law this year regarding harvested animals from out of state coming into Michigan. Can someone outline for me, the process, if I shoot a deer in Montana and want a head mount done in Michigan.
    Thank you in advance for any info.

2. O'sdad

O'sdad

Unless you know exactly how to cape a head out, flesh/turn lips, eyes, ears, salt properly, then remove and clean off the skull cap, your best bet would be to take it to a taxidermist in that area and pay them the $$ to do it for you. No reputable taxidermist in Michigan would accept it into their shop unless it is properly(legally) handled. I don't know what a shop out-of-state would charge for that, but I would have charged $100-$125, depending on the size of the deer. Elk/moose would have been quite a bit more. I recently retired after several decades as a full-time taxidermist. Good luck!

ryan-b likes this.

3. Bucman

Bucman

Being a former taxi how do you feel about that law?

4. O'sdad

O'sdad

We need to do everything we can to control CWD, if that is at all possible, and it may well be too late. I had "sportsmen" haul deer/elk into my shop that were not compliant with the laws. They had a "Us against them" attitude toward the law and the DNR. I found it disgusting and turned their unethical asses in to the law. These laws are made to PROTECT our resources, not to harass sportsmen. Every single one of those twits could have potentially brought in a CWD infected animal that may have contaminated the herd. Those nasty prions last years in the soil. As far as the powers that be enforcing the law.....sock it to'em!

ryan-b likes this.