No blood?

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by rippper, Nov 29, 2020.

1. rippper

rippper

Let me start by saying this is not intended to bash the 350 legend round. Shot a buck with my 350 last week. Marginal shot, poor blood trail. Last night my son shot at his first deer. 6 pt standing in a cut corn field 125 yds. At the shot the deer bucked and ran about 40 yds, stopped and walked away limping. Even if it was a horrible shot how can there be NO blood? Blood shows up real good on cut corn. Not a drop. Even thought maybe a complete miss, and the deer had a previous injury, but didnt notice a limp before the shot. Question: can a deer be shot and not drop blood? Thx if you can help with this mystery.

Doghouse 5 likes this.
  2. JasonSlayer

JasonSlayer

My youngest son shot a 8 point at 120 yards Thanksgiving morning and double lunged it. The buck was shot in an open covor crop field so the deer was in plain view the whole time. He only ran maybe 30 yards and dropped. When we walked up to the deer one of the first things I wanted to do was to back track the blood trail and see what it looked like. It was wasnt great by any means but there was some blood to follow. I figured the deer filled up with blood on the inside before going down and that was the reason. He was also shooting the .350 legend with 180gr Winchesters.

Whopper 24 likes this.

3. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

Shot placement is everything. A deer can be hit and bleed very little, especially if it is a marginal hit or high hit with no exit. My guess is you got guts

This is my blood trail from today on the exit side. Entry was high and almost zero blood on that side

20201129_083932.jpg

4. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

I would suggest that you find someone with a dog to track it.

Cork Dust likes this.
  5. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Shot a doe with my muzzleloader @ 65 yards, totally broadside, dropped her in her tracks.
    Waited an hour to go get her & she was 100% ALIVE!
    Shot was well placed, inch or so high, maybe. Not a drop of blood, bullet was logded under the opposite side hide.

6. Ken

Ken

It's not the cartridge to blame. The bullet is what hits the deer and either does the job or fails to produce good results.
    If you have a hit with no exit, there will be very little blood, unless the deer is spraying from the nose and/or mouth.
    Or, same if you have a bullet that does not expand much.

Bob S and November Sunrise like this.
  7. crossneyes

crossneyes

I'll say it again. I have had excellent results with the 180gr Winchester.
    That being said,I'm gonna try the bear creek ammo next season,hear good things about it.

8. Whopper 24

Whopper 24

Yes it’s completely possible to have no blood. Daughter took a buck Wed evening with 44 mag at 70 yd shot. Deer ran 100 yds Nd piled up. Not one drop of blood. Heart shot with through the shoulder entry and no exit.

don’t know what bullet you are using but the 150 Winchester are no good in my opinion.

9. Lumberman

Lumberman Premium Member

Just food for thought. Is hot at a bucks a few years ago with my bow. It jumped real hard when I shot then stumbled and almost fell. Then slowly limped away with a real bad limp. Convinced I hit him we looked for blood for a long time. Then went back and found my arrow. Completely missed. The deer must have hurt his leg flinching.

10. rippper

rippper

This is exactly what i was thinking, i have recovered a lot of deer, but always hsir at tje shot, or at least A couple drops of blood. I was out this morning for 2 hrs. NOT A DROP.

11. big buck 75

big buck 75

All situations are different. I have seen deer shot with all different calibers some good blood trails some not. A few days ago helped my neighbor track one he shot with an 06, nocked it off its feet got up and took off, very little blood let it lay over night never recovered. Obviously poor shot placement. I shot one with a muzzleloader perfect shot no blood, deer recovered 60 yards latter, shot with a Hornady sst. Switched to Barnes after that. A lot of guys love sst bullets. Shot a doe a yesterday with 350 legend Winchester 150 XP’s, complete pass through with a solid 35 yard blood trail, yet some guys hate them. I understand killing one deer does not make a great bullet. I think you need to use what you have confidence in.

Doghouse 5 and 12Point like this.
  12. Waif

Waif

Depending on a noticeable blood trail and not locating one has been the reason hunters have stopped searching for or for not recovering (some) deer. Tis true , tis true.

Multiple factors. There is with anything...
    A small hole poked , can become a small hole plugged just as fast.
    And why should blood spurt out of a small hole up on the side of a chest before the chest cavity fills? A hole behind the diaphragm assures nothing. And depending again on multiple factors , in front of the diaphragm can take time to leak.
    Water in the bottom of the boat is not running up over the sides is it?

It's nice to have good blood to follow.
    I've had a few deer I didn't have much or any blood for a ways.
    When they can scoot a hundred yard dash in seconds , they are not encountering failure of blood/oxygen to brain yet. Even if bleeding internally.

Watching deer leave , and last spot seen (in addition to marking hit site for study). Listening, and later , deliberate tracking does not need blood.
    Once in a while practicing during the off season a deer can be followed a surprising distance.
    And on a known area with known deer through routes and features a track can be recovered after being lost , sometimes.
    The best and farthest tracking jobs will follow practice.
    And just as there will be hit deer that seem easier than others to track without blood , due to variables like ground cover type ect. , there will be deer than seem to take an airborne flight after a couple jumps.

Not trusting blood will exist ups the odds of a determined slow patient search for other evidence.
    And more recoveries would be started by the few ignorant folk who expect deer to drop because a gun they pointed at it went boom. Then did not investigate the site.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    Spartan88, textox, Stubee and 6 others like this.
  13. Lever4ever

Lever4ever

Many years ago I shot a 8 point at 20 yards standing broadside, 30-06, 180 grain Cor Lokt. we had about 10 inches of fresh powder snow. I went out to the shot spot and found no hair, no blood I was absolutely sure there was no way I could have missed at the distance with a gun I had just zeroed in and was very confident with. I looked around for a few minutes and noticed a set of tracks leaving in the direction he left, the right front leg was dragging a bit, leaving an arc in the fresh snow, went out about 30 more yards (very dark out) and there he was piled up. Went back to camp, downloaded clothing and got the sled, pulled the deer out of the area to dress. Never did a drop of blood show, when I dressed the deer I hit a rib straight up and could only find a piece of heart the size of the thumb nail, blew the heart completely into pieces. No pump no pressure I guess.

14. Hook and Ladder

Hook and Ladder

My boy shot a buck Thanksgiving morning..350 legend 170 grain Winchester big game. He took out the top of the heart and both lungs. 30 yard run. Not a drop of blood from hit till it dropped. We always try and follow blood trail just for experience. Went through both sides but didn't exit hide. From what l have witnessed with the straight wall cartridge is that doesn't always leave a blood trail but the deer usually don't go far on a well placed shot. Have been hunting deer for 35 years and no two kills or shots are the same.

15. FullQuiver

FullQuiver

Top notch post right here.. Truer words on the subject will be difficult to write..

Doghouse 5 and Lever4ever like this.