No bait No deer

Discussion in 'General Michigan Hunting' started by EJSams, Nov 29, 2020.

1. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mod

Probably been centuries since there was an oak growing where I hunt!

Radar420 likes this.
  2. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mod

If he's got time to wait for them to grow its a good idea.

FullQuiver likes this.

3. 22 Chuck

22 Chuck

You probably need to get out more. Everyone knows there are so many deer that DNR deemed it necessary to allow any/every one to shoot "if its brown its down".
    Get out more and you will see all those deer and help the DNR manage them.

roger15055 and hmrx like this.
  4. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

I don't bait and most days I see a bunch of deer. My compliant is that none of them have horns. I do have a good one that I see every few days but he is always in a hurry and crosses the lanes before I can get a shot.

Mole Hill likes this.
  5. perchjerker

perchjerker

Actually a food plot isn't that hard to do. I only have 5 acres maybe 3 huntable.
    I made a tiny 8000sq ft food plot started it 3 years ago. It brings in deer made all the difference in the world. I don't have any fancy equipment. My sxs and a ground hog max disc are what I use plus a length of chain link fence to work the seed in. Then I pack it down with the sxs tires. I would love to get a cultipacker one day
    Screenshot_20201129-161703.png

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  6. GDLUCK

GDLUCK

I understand your situation. It's tough. I bet when you bought the property you didn't HAVE to have bait piles to see deer. But now its going on 40 years later. that woodlot has aged just like you. Young forest= deer, old forest doesnt, with the exception being acorns.

There is a reason there were few deer before the logging boom and many after.

7. YAKFish#1

YAKFish#1

A decade ago I hunted state land in the Lewiston/Atlanta area...there was a lot of timbering and the occasional new gas/oil well put in...every season following those activities the deer would swarm the new fresh grass growth...I’m talking 5-10 deer at a time...three years ago my brother in law had a company come in and timber decent portions of his oaks opening up the canopy...he stopped in at a local nursery and grabbed numerous local deer forage seeds (grass/clover etc) and tossed it all around the new open ground...the deer did the same thing...no bait and the deer loved the fresh growth...every spring he drags a ball diamond drag rake across the areas and the new growth comes back again and the deer still come...if you can take some trees down...the guys that did his paid for the timber and he made a nice pocket of money...either way, open up the canopy, let the natural forage grow, spread local forage seed or simply drag the area and let nature take its course...it becomes a natural food source with little effort...stop in at a local nursery and see what they recommend...good luck, you won’t be disappointed with little effort...even if you let locals come in and grab the dropped trees...and, the beach nut bushes and saplings came back with a vengeance and created a new cover area...I can’t wait to see what kind of bedding or transition area it becomes...no one hunts that area and the property is only 15 acres butted up to federal property.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    Spartan88, Bob S, NbyNW and 4 others like this.
  8. FullQuiver

FullQuiver

The best time to plant trees is 5 years ago. Not really, the best time is now..

Remember the old greek truth. "A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shadow they shall never sit.". This seems to be something that couldn't be more appropriate for any situation than you are facing now...

9. hmrx

hmrx

Baiting ban is ok if the playing field is level. Landowners are still baiting heavily because its readily for sale at feed stores and gas stations. It's not fair to guys who follow the law and don't bait. Pretty hard to compete on small private holdings with piles of sugar beets and carrots. If the dnr can't enforce or won't enforce their own rules. Let's go back to limited baiting. Not everyone can put in a food plot. Shouldn't have to if the no baiting rules were enforced. Let's level the field.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

10. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

What you want is not going to happen. I have either corn or beans across the road every year so all I have to do is set up on a runway crossing the road even if I am hundred yards away. That's a 200 acre food plot.

11. Buddwiser

Buddwiser

:lol: While you hunt your bait plot?

jiggin is livin likes this.
  12. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer Banned

I am not so sure about apple trees. The spot that I hunted for two sits this year had several old apple trees along a ditch line. There were apples all over the ground in different stages of rot from fresh and hard to mush. Few showed signs of being eaten.

The corn had been picked, rather badly, and there was a lot on the ground, including full ears. That showed more signs of being used as a food source. I did not see a deer in that field for either sit. The year prior I saw 20 or so in a couple of days.

The "big" field, with little cover around it, showed far more sign of being used and I saw 15 in that field on opening morning. 3 were taken off that field on the opener.

13. GIDEON

GIDEON

I do, I have and I will continue to report them. As often as it takes to have someone act on the complaint.

randomstranger likes this.
  14. Ieatshrooms

Ieatshrooms

I am a QDMer and have never planted a food plot or used bait once in my life. I see a common theme that those that fail at hunting like to blame everything on QDMer's. Much easier than addressing the actual problem, which is themselves.

15. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

The 2 plots that I have are just openings that I mow three or four times a year. They are just grass. I am sitting here thinking that maybe I should disk up some of my shooting lanes and throw in some wheat next fall. I just have to find a tractor and a disk.