close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Night fishing

Discussion in 'Big Lake Surf/ Pier Reports' started by CrappieSlayer, Sep 13, 2017.

1. CrappieSlayer

CrappieSlayer

This is probably a stupid question, but since I have a 7 hour drive each way, I thought I'd ask anyways. Was thinking of making a run up to manistee or frankfort tomorrow night, with a plan of fishing from about 11 or 12 at night until maybe 9 in the morning. I know glow spoons are used, but do any of you fish and have success at like 2 or 3 in the morning or is most success at sundown/sunrise? Basically I'm debating about fishing from late at night until the early morning hours or maybe starting before dawn and fishing until noonish? Thoughts?

2. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Honestly, not to derail any plans you have, my personal best bite has been between the hours of 1 and 3 am. The only fish I've ever put on the wall came around 3am back in 13. Good luck!

6667supersport likes this.

3. Blueump

Blueump

My best time this year has been the 2 hours after sunset. With that said, there are usually "pods" of fish that push through at various times of the night. All nighters are your best bet if you can.

And if you're debating on the two listed ports, I'd personally do Frankfort. Keep an eye on the wind to judge which pier to use. When safe, either pier can be successful.

4. danthebuilder

danthebuilder

Fish all night. Don't fish during the day.

5. salmon_slayer06

salmon_slayer06

be sure to bring your waders and cleats. The very least some type of muck boot and cleats.

Huntingguy23 likes this.
  6. salmon_slayer06

salmon_slayer06

The higher water levels leave the edges on the end of the pier under about 4 inches of water when it's calm. When there is a south wind the spray gets all of the pier wet. And it's very slippery on the edges under water due to the algae.

7. Gone Coastal

Gone Coastal

I
    I've had best luck 9pm to 2:00am then again between 5:30 - 8:30 am. Live alewives on slip sinker in the am Along with casting.