Nice jigging bonus

Discussion in 'Lk. St. Clair and St. Clair River' started by billfer, Sep 24, 2020.

1. andyotto

andyotto

It’s coho. No doubt.

gino and 6667supersport like this.
  2. piketroller

piketroller

This is why people just call them silver fish...

3. Rendy

Rendy

I don’t mean to be instigating an argument to an earlier post, but that is far from being an Atlantic.

Disregard the “fin” characteristics, but the body profile itself is completely off to even suggest Atlantic. I’m going to agree with the “suggest” coho post as it fits the description far more, in reference to experience and research. And if it is not a coho - which I’m confident it is - it is of the “pacific” salmon family.

captinal likes this.
  4. piketroller

piketroller

Here was my bonus fish from last week that went 27-3/4”. I wonder what kind of salmon this is.

C2F1FEA5-9DB5-4FC0-94D3-7F3A22A4531C.jpeg

5. Rendy

Rendy

That's a solid sucker, give tall back on it, did you get a weight on it?

6. piketroller

piketroller

I don’t think I even looked at the weight.

7. hhlhoward

hhlhoward Premium Member

8. b_cdot

b_cdot

Beautiful greater redhorse salmon!! Or is it a lesser redhorse? What is the likelihood that steelhead and coho have many hybrids swimming in the waters? We catch fish every year in the central basin of lake erie that have both coho and steelhead traits. I've heard a couple charter guys say there is definitely hybrids swimming around lake erie. What do you guys think?

9. Twoshot

Twoshot

Guys that there is a steelhead, without a doubt. Tail is much too square to be a coho. The mouth can be the real key. Steel

10. Horseshoe

Horseshoe

Can't say as I've seen coho with spots on the adipose fin, back of their head, and lower tail. Sure looks like a young Chinook to me. I wouldn't bet money on it or anything!

11. Holzer

Holzer

This thread is too funny!

12. DOKs1914

DOKs1914

Took my pops out for a couple hours after the rain. Tried a few spots in anchor bay. Only a couple dink perch and a smallie. Then headed out to the north channel. First drift managed one 19” walter. Third drift I lost one halfway up and my dad lost a couple. Last drift in front of the yellow house my dad goes I think I got something... thought it was a snag as nothing was happening then a few seconds later drag starts peeling out. Chased it up the channel, passing the pole back and forth picking up line.. pole went tap tap tap and that’s all she wrote. I assume sturgeon, but never seen it. Coulda been a snag, felt like a fish.. guess we’ll never know! Haha taking him back out in the am. Blue ice fin-s tipped with emerald. Snapped my rod flipping walter into the boat like an idiot. Net was below deck. Not one of my finer moments

Attached Files:

MisterTom and billfer like this.
  13. piketroller

piketroller

Here are some rules of thumb for how I've found certain big fish to feel, especially on walleye gear. Of course every fish is unique and can do whatever it wants.

Big sturgeon (60"+) like to swim to the middle of the channel, usually to deeper water that where they were hooked, and then make a run downstream. They pull back according to how hard you pull on them, so with a light drag on walleye gear, they aren't feeling much resistance, and your boat is drifting downstream as well. They will pull hard and steady like a truck in low gear. You won't have any hope of turning them early in the fight on walleye gear, but the runs won't be really fast.

Mid size sturgeon (40-60") feel the same as the bigger ones on hookup, but after they run out to the middle of the channel, they tend to fight to stay on the bottom without going downstream anywhere near as much. When you can pull them up off the bottom, they will drift with the current downstream, but they will fight to get back down and you'll have to use the trolling motor to hover over them. If you snag a piece of lumber, the way if flops in the current can feel a lot like one of these fish, but if you don't have to use the trolling motor much and just keep drifting downstream during the fight, it's more likely you snagged some trash than a fish. Last year a friend on my boat hooked about a 10 pound chunk of decaying wood covered in zebra muscles in the same spot the day before I caught a 57" sturgeon on walleye gear. He has caught many sturgeon himself and was sure it was a big fish, and after a 15 minute fight we finally got his "catch" to the surface.

There a lot of big catfish in the river. They can pull really hard and fight really well to stay on the bottom. But generally they will make much faster runs than a sturgeon. If the drag starts screaming but the fish is staying down, my money is on it being a catfish over something else big.

Muskie and pike will do drag screaming runs as well, and you'll usually see the angle of your line get less and less vertical on some of the runs because they don't care as much about staying on the bottom as other fish.

You can also get into big freshwater drum. They do violent head shakes where you can feel the line scraping on either side of their head. It's hard to explain in words, but you'll know it when you feel it.

14. METTLEFISH

METTLEFISH

So the hook stuck in a loop of the net and pulled! Happens all the time and people think it fell out, more often it's pulled from the weight of the fish having resistance from the net. Nice fish...

billfer likes this.